MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2023, 05:53 AM   #16
Headgear
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I use Lumber Jack 100% hickory because some years ago I did a few searches for what mid-range pellet smoker put the most smoke on meat and what were the favorite pellets of everyone at the time. I got a MAC One Star and it seemed to be a consensus that BEAR Mountain and Lumber Jack were most liked. Lumber Jack was available locally, but now I see that Bear Mountain is also. I will have to try them.

I also am concerned with the amount of ash I end up with. When I was searching for a pellet smoker that actually put smoke on the meat, I saw a lot of complaints that the MAC did at first but then the amount of smoke flavor seemed to subside. I noticed it as well. The fix was to empty the ashes from the fire pot after every cook. Bingo! Now I could not be happier with the smoker... except for having to completely disassemble it to empty the fire pot every time. But like most things, I learned. I got the optional large top shelf that I now cook on, and put a large foil steam pan below it to catch the drippings so I don't have to clean the lower wracks every time. Then I covered the drip shield below with foil so I did not have to clean it so often should anything miss the steam pan. All of this made it much easier to take everything apart to empty the fire pot.

So the long and short of it is, If Bear Mountain produces less ash, I may get more or a better smoke flavor on the meat. I will give it a shot.