Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Slash 4X4

Notices

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By elmoracer
  • 1 Post By Genghis Ken
  • 1 Post By elmoracer

Thread: Slash 4x4 MT Conversion: A Step By Step Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
Addict

Default Slash 4x4 MT Conversion: A Step By Step Guide

The Slash 4x4 is an amazingly versatile vehicle. It can be a bulletproof backyard basher, a multi-surface rally car, a corner carving racer, or, with a little creativity, a high-riding monster. Traxxas themselves created a short-wheelbase monster using the Slash 4x4's architecture and it is a really fun little bundle of wheelie popping joy. But what if they had used the Slash 4x4 to create a lighter, more athletic MT to compete with the likes of the E-Maxx, E-Revo, or others? The world may never know, as Traxxas would be creating a truck that would hurt their own sales figures of the more established "classic" trucks. With the addition of a few parts and the removal of few others though you can create your own 4x4 lightweight monster that still flies the TRX flag proudly. Here's how.

Step One: Remove the bumpers and nerf bars

Click the image to open in full size.
I used a cut down Slash 4x4 bumper to retain the hinge pins without sacrificing the look I was going for.

Step Two: Add MT wheels and tires (and hex adapters if necessary)

I am using Pro-line's Masher 2.8" tires stretched over RPM's 3.2" Revolver "Stablemaxx" offset wheels. I love these tires and they have served me well for quite a while (I've had at least one set since 2013). I like the look of the larger wheels and they give the tires a lower profile look. The adapters are from AKA, but I also use a set of splined 17mm adapters from Hot Racing from time to time. The wrench that I have for the splined adapters has a longer reach and can be used with the high offset wheels, whereas a standard 4-way 17mm wrench can't reach the wheel nut. I have also used RPM's Revolver 2.2" wide offset crawler wheels and Pro-line's 2.2" BFGoodrich KO2 tires. These look a little more scale and are taller than the Mashers. The RPM wheel is also the only 2.2" wheel that will fit on the Slash 4x4 without rubbing.

Step Three: Body mounts

I am using Pro-line's extended body mounts for the Traxxas Slash 4x4 and Stampede 4x4. I have modified mine with Rustler battery hold down posts as I lost the screw on caps that came with the PL mounts.

Step Four: Add a Monster shell

I chose the Pro-line Jeep Rubicon designed for the T-Maxx 3.3 and Revo 3.3 (item #3405-00). This body has the correct wheelbase and width for the Slash chassis. If I choose to run the Mashers on this truck long term I will be trimming the flares and replacing them with a set of higher arched flat style flares. The stock flares do rub the tires a little but this could be solved with wider hexes or some Dremel work on the flares themselves.

I also added a Stamped 4x4 wheelie bar to help protect the rear of the Jeep body and also keep the rear hinge pins in place. This is a direct bolt on and is a must with the larger tires.

Step Five: Gearing

I replaced the 17t pinion in my truck with a 13t to keep the temps in check and regain some torque. The motor and ESC both run cool after a full pack and the truck has enough power to pull the front end up at any speed below 3/4 throttle.

PERFORMANCE

This truck is very impressive. It handles so much better than an E-Maxx, is more durable, and is faster to boot. I ran this truck back to back with my 3906 E-Maxx and it was a night and day difference. I didn't have to walk over and flip the truck back onto its wheels nearly as much as the Maxx. The truck steers with more authority and precision than the pillow ball equipped Maxx. The lighter Slash MT jumps and lands like a dream compared to the Maxx which lands with a thud and loses most of its forward drive when trying to regain its composure. The larger MT tires allow the Slash to roll over rough terrain much better than the stock 2.2/3.0" tires do. The Slash MT is also much more stable than a Stampede 4x4 and is easier to drive at high speeds. The Stampede likes to list from side to side as the tires grow at different rates and this is amplified by the trucks short wheelbase. The Slash tracks straighter, even while on the wheelie bar, and is easier to drive at the limit.

Overall there is no reason not to convert your Slash into a monster truck if you are shopping for a 1/10 MT. The Slash is just as capable as an E-Maxx in 90% of driving situations, is more durable, and also only requires one battery. Plus when that battery is dead, the truck is much easier to carry back to the workbench than its portlier sibling.

Parts List:
RPM Stablemaxx Wheels: http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/wh...x-offset-17mm/
Pro-line Jeep Rubicon: https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...clear-body-mt/
Pro-line Masher 2.8: https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...n-truck-tires/
Pro-line Extended Body mounts: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...nts-slash-4x4/
AKA Hex Adapters: TRAXXAS SLASH 4X4 1:8 WHEEL ADAPTERS (COMPLETE SET)

A special thanks goes out to the great folks at Pro-line Racing and RPM RC Products without whom this would not have been possible.
Mike Flea likes this.

Last edited by elmoracer; 03-31-2019 at 05:10 PM.
elmoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
Addict

Default Re: Slash 4x4 MT Conversion: A Step By Step Guide

That's kinda what I did with my Helion Dominus v1, except I used ProLine's Truscale Dodge body and 2.8 Trenchers
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Racer

Hi Elmo,
You have inspired me. Iím going to be Monsterizing my Slash 4x4. Iím going to be doing a complete tear down of my STRC LCG Slash 4x4 to start the project off with, so Iíve got a couple of questions for you.
Did you play around with your diff oils at all? If so what did you want to achieve and did you? I saw a review of the E Revo vs itís Aarma counterpart by Amain, they noted the E Revo center diff was filled with 2million weight diff fluid and it made the Revo much more aggressive on acceleration with less front tire ballooning. My Slash is going to have the old Viper
Copperhead esc with 550 can motor so it will have a bunch of horsepower on tap. Any thoughts on front middle and rear diff oilsto use? Iím thinking Iíll have to go a bit thicker on front and rear because of the 2.8 Trenchers Iím going to be running.
Next bodies, I like the stock Slash. Body a bunch, but after looking at the Revo 2.0 in action Iím starting to like the small body look as well BUT I hate painting bodies Iíd much rather try and get a rustler or stampede or revo or perhaps pro line pre painted body and put one of them on. Do they fit on the pro line Slash 4x4 body posts?
Genghis Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Addict

In my truck I am still running the stock slipper with the aluminum adapter. I haven't tried a center diff yet but if I were going to switch I would use the thickest oil I could get my hands on. The Traxxas diffs are somewhat small compared to a 1/8 buggy or truggy and therefore needs a thicker oil to achieve the same result.

As for f/r diffs, I am running Telluride diffs with 100,000 weight oil at both ends and the truck still oversteers. I like the way these diffs feel as they don't unload like the stock Slash units do and they give a little extra gearing advantage with the taller tires.

For bodies, the Rustler and Stampede bodies are way too short for the Slash (by around an inch and a half). The bodies for the 3905 emaxx fit the best, E-Revo bodies are a shade long but will work. The hot rod body on the 2wd conversion I did is an E-Revo body and you can see that it is just a tad too long. The Jeep Rubicon I used above is for the T/E-maxx 3.3 and also fits the Revo 3.3 and Summit as they have a slightly shorter wheelbase than the E-Revo. I also tried first gen E-Maxx bodies but they are too short for the Slash as well (I have a Peterbilt body that I really wanted to use).
Old 07-08-2018, 06:03 AM   #5
Racer

Telluride diffs you say. Are they a drop in replacement? What made you swap to them? Iím planning on making this my tinkering around vehicle so perhaps that will be a future mod to do. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Addict

Honestly, they were cheaper than Slash, Stampede or Rally diffs and I was curious if they would hold the power. I bought mine as a unit with the diff, diff case, pinion and bearings and they drop right in. In the future I may go up to XO-1 diffs but for now the Telly's are doing fine.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
Racer

Aaaaarrrggghhh,
Why do I have to be such a completionist! I keep wanting to make my RC cars/projects perfect from the start. Have I ever had a problem with the stock diffs, nope. But do I want to hold off on putting the Slash back together so I can put some X01 diffs in the truck ? Yes. Itís maddening. Iím going to put the darn thing together and then see if it actually has some short comings that need to be addressed. Itís been a while since I posted any pics but Iíll see if I canít take a couple as I go along. Just for reference the genesis of this project was to make. Slash 4x4 that could take on or exceed Pro-lines Pro MT 4x4.
elmoracer likes this.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Addict

If you want to go one and done, go with the X-01 diffs and bash away. I am going X-01 in my Pede 4x4 when the new motor and ESC go in. It still has the stock diffs and they're holding up fine but I would say they won't like 4s 2650 power, at least not for long.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Racer

I think Iíll be staying with 2s, the Viper VX4R Copperhead is a 4500kv motor so it should be plenty quick enough. Iím wondering if Iíll need to X01 my diffs if Iím not running 3s or more. Iím going to keep them stock and see how they do.
The Slash is basically rebuilt, Iíll post some pics tomorrow or Sat. Mind if I piggyback on your thread or should I start a new one?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
Addict

If you're staying 2 or 3s stock diffs should hold up fine. The ones in my Pede 4x4 look new and I'm only upgrading as a preventative measure with the new power system (I'm going from a SV3SCT 3800 to a GoolRC 120a and 2650 setup just for fun).

If you'd like I'd welcome your photos here, the more MT's the better!
Mike Flea likes this.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
Racer

Hi guys, so itís pretty much all built but there are a couple of points that are bugging me.
Iím running the STRC chassis which is a LCG chassis, the stock Slash body needs to sit up high for wheel clearance which means itís floating 1 inch above the chassis! I hate that. The bottom plate is absolutely flat so Iím thinking I might be able to use a J concepts Stampede over tray but invert it as an undertray or otherwise Rube Goldberg up some sidewalls with it. I donít suppose anyone has a Stampede 4x4 chassis they could measure so Iíll know if it will fit the STRC base plate?

Next, ride height.
With battery but without the body on, my Slash is weighing in at 6.55 pounds
Iím running Losi SCTE Shocks (GTR shocks were still a gleam in a Traxxas engineers eye when I picked em up). The rears are ok but the fronts I've got the adjuster cranked down almost all the way and Iím still below arms level in the front. I want arms level or ideally just a bit above arms level. it seems like Iím going to have to go with a harder spring. I was thinking about grabbing a set of rear springs and not cranking them down so far and see if that doesnít do the trick. Any thoughts?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
Addict

The stampede tray is going to be almost 2" too short. If you want to use a full fendered body check out the Pro-line monster fusion. It's designed for 2.8" wheels and tires and still covers everything. Also, if you have some scrap lexan you could easily make some side guards for the chassis to fill that gap.

Either the harder spring or the longer spring would keep the nose from sagging. The longer spring would most likely be the better option if you have a similar spring rate to what you're running in the front now. That will give you similar handling without the excessive sag.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
Addict

A quick comparison of the Slash 4x4 to a Stampede 4x4 chassis. You can see how much difference in length there is between the two.

Click the image to open in full size.2018-07-15_09-22-38 by justin barber, on Flickr
Old 07-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
Racer

Thanks, My thinking was I could use one of the J concepts chassis covers inverted to make a gap filler so the body wouldnít be floating above the chassis.
Iím pretty sure looking at the body that that plan wonít work.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
Racer

Yeah so I havenít created a flikr account yet, but I will, honest! Everything is all put together, I mounted the body and took it for a test drive. It rips! The thing goes plenty fast on 2 cells, I honestly canít see going to 3s.
The bodyfloating above the chassis still bugs me, but when itís flying at low altitude, I donít even notice it!
Iím running on grass that gets pretty thick and the clippings never get raked, so grass wraps around the rear axles like nobodyís business. I have to keep bringing the car in to pull it off the rear axles otherwise My motor temp goes up.
The front tires do balloon way more than the rears so I may swap to a higher diff fluid in the center diff.
The perfectionist in me wants to try making another one using the HCG chassis just to see how it performs (and to not have the body floating). Elmo you have the HCG body on yours, do you find it tippy? Iíd imagine the wider tires offset that tendency but Iíd like to know your real world experience. Next, way back when the rule of thumb was you had to get the king heads bigger bearing mount for the 4X4. I think the thinking was chassis flex was stressing the bearing and it was failing. Both the SSC and the TRCE LCG chassis used bigger bearings the STRC uses the standard bearing but at 4mm thick the chassis will not flex ever! So if I did go with the HCG chassis would I need to get a Kingheadz bearing mount? Lastly besides the chassis, what parts would I need to convert from a LCG to a HCG chassis?
Old 07-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #16
Addict

My HCG truck handled better than my E-maxx but not as well as the LCG converted MT 2wd. I ran the truck arms level and kept the speeds in check while turning on high grip surfaces and didn't have too many rollovers.

As for converting to the HCG chassis, you'll need

-Chassis Plate
-Front and rear bulkheads
-Motor mount of your choice and motor plate
-Battery strap and retainers
-Servo horn and steering linkage
-RX box
-Nerf bars
-Gear cover/ wire retainer

Those are the items listed in the 4x4 LCG conversion kit so buying the HCG versions will take you the other way.

If you are going to the stock plastic HCG chassis, definitely pick up a KingHeadz or other mount of your choice. I don't think I have a plastic mount left from any of my Slash and Stampede 4x4 projects and I have never had an issue with the center bearing.

Going thicker on the center diff fluid is a must for the larger tires and will help the ballooning significantly. Did you tape the tires before gluing (or were they pre-glued)? The Trenchers are known to balloon if not taped. I taped my Mashers before gluing and they retain their shape no matter what. The Badlands were pre-glued but seem to hold their shape better than any other 2.8" tire i've tried on either the Slash MT's or my Stampedes.

Slash 4x4 MT Conversion: A Step By Step Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When is Panther Tires going to step up? JK Racing Tires and Wheels 112 04-16-2012 09:31 AM
Next Step in Speed? RCreeper Traxxas Slash 1 07-18-2011 11:12 AM
Whats my next step?? mdepalma11 Newbie ShortCourse 4 02-14-2010 10:20 PM