Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Slash 4X4

Notices

Thread: Noisy driveline

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Basher

Default Noisy driveline

I got a 4wd slash some weeks ago and want to ask:
Is it normal that the driveline is very noisy? It is hard to describe, but its like a rattling noise. When I disengage the gears (motor/spur) the noise is not so signifikant. There is nothing wrong with the motor and the noise is the same with both motors i've tried (VXL and Turnigy Mach3).
Any ideas what to look for - or do I simply have to accept the noise?
KuJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Racer

Could be a bad bearing, diff, diff housing. Have you pulled it apart and cleaned bearings?
AE86 SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Addict

Its a noisy driveline, period. It takes some work to get it half way quiet. The rattle you hear may be the aluminum drive shaft slopping around a little while under power. You could also open up the diff housing and put some lithium grease on the ring gear. But yes, you want to mainly check and clean all the bearings, especially the motor mount which will fail on a regular basis. A fix to this is to get a better bearing like a ceramic, or go with a new setup like the KingHeadz mount/bearing kit.
tdford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Basher

Thanks for the answers.
I've checked for alu motormounts and there are several on the market. Some have included bigger bearing, some not (The one mentioned above/HotRacing/STRC/Golden Horizon/Traxxas/+++++). Some er expensive some less expensive.
Which one is reccomended (type/brand)?
(Probably a stupid question as I will get answers pointing towards one and every mount on the marked depending on what people are using ....)
KuJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Racer

You might want to try shimming the rear diff bearings. There is a write up somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Take some thin cardboard (I used cardboard from a 12 pack). Cut 2 small rectangle pieces and glue them into the rear diff housing where the bearings seat. Replace rear diff cover. I'm guessing it is a backlash issue with the ring and pinion? I couldn't see an easy way to shim the pinion. Hope this helps.
jeep94xj is offline   Reply With Quote