Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Slash 4X4

Notices

Thread: [SIC]slash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
Basher

I was merely commenting on the complexity of the yolks, not the quality!

The yolks are something I would tackle, the pan, not so much

I remember working in a shop where I had access to the resources whenever I felt like it. Now I have to squeeze g-jobs in that don't take more than an hour. Plus, the quick code on my HAAS doesn't lend itself to producing tens of thousands of lines of code
mikethemachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #22
Addict

Oh ok.. LOL. Sorry about the defense there. I take pride in my work,that's all. The yokes don't take anywhere as close to as much time as the pan, and there really isnt a way to make them more complex than they already are. i was only fabricating an adapter to work with the existing bearing. We have 2 VMCs. One is a roku-roku HC658, That's where I machined the yokes. The FANUC controller on that has a good amount of on-board memory and is also linked to our in-house server. The other mill is a doosan DNM400. Also with a FANUC controller but the memory really sucks. I ran the pan program via DNC/memory card. That was the only way... there was soo much code for the finishing toolpath

Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap

Last edited by Sicario666; 03-27-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Sicario666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #23
Racer

Looks like a cool concept, are you planning on throwing more holes in it to aid in flex?
tobz173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #24
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobz173 View Post
Looks like a cool concept, are you planning on throwing more holes in it to aid in flex?
There isnt any other aftermarket company out there attempting to produce a modified pan for the slash. i figured i would just do it myself. im constantly trying to upgrade my rig... if i can think of an order of operation for a part... im all over it.

Hole relief for flex... aluminum doesn't flex as well as plastic does, and if it does flex, thats not good because it wont spring back to position. To answer your question i wont be making this weaker. The aluminum tub was fabricated to make things highly rigid. i will be machining more of the pan out soon so it is lighter... the lower pocket(looking at the top side of the pan) will be machined a little bit more to make it a little thinner. it stands at about .250 thick and i'll more than likely take it down to 5/32 or 3/16. i will also translate the angles machined on the bottom of the pan to the inside of the pan as well. making the wall thickness there the same as the bottom face thickness... im thinking 5/32 is thick enough. which is .156 in decimal amount. this whole project is aimed at weight and strength

Last edited by Sicario666; 03-27-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #25

Very nice! I like to see people in the machining field do some nice hobby stuff. I've done a couple of things for myself in the past and am always making things as I go. I can't wait to see the end result and the testing from all the hard work, keep up teh good work!!
Maxxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #26

Default nice

1000 oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #27
Addict

Here's my progress as of today... With this operation complete. I was able to get the weight down to 16oz

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #28

Good stuff, keep up the good work! Can't wait to see the finished product! Feels good to know that you've got a one of a kind don't it. I've also decided to do my own LCG system for the 4x4 slash. Will have a thread on it some time this week. But I will admit that it's a pain to get all dimensions do do a flat pan chassis for the slash.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
Addict

It's all gotta start somewhere. No dimension...no parts. But dimensioning is a lengthy process. Especially if you're a perfectionist

Old 03-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #30
Racer

Amazing!

Don't worry, I'M impressed by the yokes...
AMP-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #31
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP-RC View Post
Amazing!

Don't worry, I'M impressed by the yokes...
LOL. Thanks a lot man. I decided to machine another chassis tub today. Which looks better in my eyes. I'll take some pics when I get a chance. Revision2 is more rigid than the 1st

Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #32
Addict

Revision2

Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #33

I LOVE the look & bow to the skills & effort involved...it will be a truly special chassis/truck.

And while I know you have lots of trimming/thinning to do, I can't see how the end result won't still way a ton more than the stock, plastic pan without bringing anything/much new to make it a better racer.

Why are you sticking with an actual 'tub'? Those vertical sides add a ton of weight, and if the aluminum is good enough/thick enough, they're not needed to give you the rigidity you need. That's the ONLY reason you see plastic tubs; the vertical parts make it a lot stiffer.

Go with a plate...you can still show off your CNC skills, especially if you 'skeletonize' it!! Check out this old UE SuperMaxx chassis pic...you'll see what I mean. And before you say "DIRT!!!", you put a super-thin sheet of lexan/any plastic over/under the chassis to make it 'solid'

Traxxas also made an AFFORDABLE racing chassis for the Maxx youze guys might want to look at for guidance on your CNC efforts. It's not as skeletonized/cool as the UE one, but it is/was still light, and it might help you when figuring what thickness to go with (4mm for a flat-plate of 7075):

Again, this isn't a backhanded compliment...this is an amazing endeavor! I just thought you might like to see other 'concepts' that can work for those who know how to CNC stuff.

Last edited by Deandome; 03-30-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Deandome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #34

I used to have a full blown Supermaxx. What a fun truck to drive! I still have his vbs, racer-x a arms, drive shafts, and super shocks. I ended up making my own truggy out of it all since his proto razer never came to be.

I believe that 666 does more bashing then racing but i'll let him fill you in on that part. Keep the pics coming
Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #35

Here's another Maxx skeleton...makes the SuperMaxx look like a piker (though it's Dace, who used to work with UE on stuff...in fact, the braces are UE). Note the braces were an integral part of the Maxx design...you wouldn't need those for a Skeleton Slash:

I'm sure most of you know the T-Maxx was/is the best selling hobby-level vehicle of all time & thus got TONS of aftermarket support. The Slash is the 'new maxx' re. sales/popularity, and has been for a few years...that's why I'm so surprised I'm not seeing more 'outside the box' aftermarket options for it:
Deandome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #36
Addict

I'm sure I'll make another plate style chassis in the future. I just wanted to stick with the tub so I could play with some 3 dimensional machining. Initially I was going to make a flat style chassis really similar to the losi lst. But I ended up wanting to go overkill with a full aluminium tub. Since there is no one that makes em. I seem to be getting a lot of positive feedback from my forum buddies as well.
I do more bashing than actual racing. Yes. Usually when I'm out at the local user made track,I'm there with a few guys. So we do kinda race... It's all good fun.
Tonight I'll be taking more dimensions for component placement and possibly start programming for the center motor mount. I'll post pictures of the CAD drawings so the community can see how and where the process starts
I do like the skeletal look of those plates but if I put time into my project, I want to be sure its very rigid. I had a skeletal chassis plate on a Tmaxx I had years ago. It bent on me, but it was also made by Integy. Not myself

Last edited by Sicario666; 03-30-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #37

Ok first off. Aluminum = awesome. I have built a rc 18t out of full blue aluminum and the weight keeps the machine down. So with the technology if it doesn't need to meet race specs. Yeah motor up with some serious electronics and add the lipo juice. Every one has a opinion.

If you do put those out I will take two. However. I dont want to pay for the whole stock. Make it a smaller scale then put it on a aluminum stretcher. Can you anodize? I had to add sarcasm. Just fun to rib defensive topics. Threads are easy to miss read. Oh and make sure you use your left handed pipe wrench as well.

Keep up the awesome work.
realismfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #38
Addict

thanks for the ideas and pics deandome. I'll keep them in mind when i decide to make [SIC]slash2. taking the time to customize my rigs truly makes them one of a kind
Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #39

any plans on selling these once the design is finalized?
churron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #40
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by churron View Post
any plans on selling these once the design is finalized?
As of now...no. its a one-off project. I've put an extreme amount of time into this project already and I'm no where close to done. Until the process is perfected and all done in one operation...AND I have my own machinery. It's pretty much impossible

Last edited by Sicario666; 04-01-2011 at 11:37 AM.