Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Loading
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tire gluing method

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: norcal
Posts: 1,272
Default Tire gluing method

I have been gluing my sct tires like this for a while and was asked to post the processSo here it is;

1)Prep wheel (scotch brite pad)and clean tire with simple greeen/glass cleaner or whatever you prefer,put your holes in the tire now(leather punch)

2) With the tire inside out Glue the 2.2 side and slip the wheel into the tire and give a few spins to distribute the glue,let stand 5-10 minutes

3)Install foam of choice then pull the tire over the foam and dry fit the bead,push back behind the bead(for visual aid I used the proline)Usually use aka

4)Glue all the way around the 3.0 side move quickly here to seat the bead(proline tires seem to be more challenging due to beadlock friendly design)

5)Install tire band (I use broccoli bands free from grocery store)

6)cover the vent holes/or leave open (personal preference)

Finished product*My tire was not prepped for glue in the pics still had some blue dust.
Attached Images
         
monturacer3 likes this.

Last edited by seabass17; 01-09-2012 at 11:06 PM.
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
Basher
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 60
Default

That's a excellent glueing job.
ITS ME DAVID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 37
Default

Nice method!! Way cleaner than my current. I can't wait to try it out this weekend!!
HeavyDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LEICS, UK
Posts: 28
Default

Your tyres look really neatly glued. Which thickness of glue do you use? Also when you mount the 2.2 side, do you already have the tyre inside out or as normal?

Thanks.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: norcal
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
Your tyres look really neatly glued. Which thickness of glue do you use? Also when you mount the 2.2 side, do you already have the tyre inside out or as normal?

Thanks.
Sorry I didn't specify that step....Fixed it,Yes I glue the 2.2 side inside out I run a bead of 15-20 second c/a or aka. hold the tire in one hand and the wheel in the other and slip it.

Last edited by seabass17; 04-24-2012 at 04:15 PM.
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LEICS, UK
Posts: 28
Default

Thanks for the reply. Got some Goosebumps that I can try it with.

eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass17 View Post
6)cover the vent holes
What do you use to cover the vent holes?
berry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Basher
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Irvine,CA
Posts: 80
Default

Excellent method!! Thanks!
DanielXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: norcal
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
What do you use to cover the vent holes?
I use the sticker/decal that comes with the tires This one is the m4 sticker from proline.
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38
Default

so to all the newbs out there (me included) why do you cover the vent hole? and how long do you leave the sticker on there?
sekaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: norcal
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
so to all the newbs out there (me included) why do you cover the vent hole? and how long do you leave the sticker on there?
The vent hole gets covered to prevent dirt from entering the wheel
You can run them open but dirt can cause balance issues and debris build up inside the tire. There is some debate on which is better. This is what I prefer.
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38
Default

that's what I figured but I wasn't sure. Also, what type of glue do you use? I tried your method on here but by the time I was around the wheel with glue the glue where I started was already dried so I had to take another route on gluing them. I think mine sets up in about 5-10 secs. And yes, it is CA glue not super glue.
sekaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
Basher
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 67
Default

Whats the band for around the tire?? Also I glued the 2.2 side like you did but i forgot to clean them (total of 4). I just blew on them to get anything off it, is that gonna be a problem down the road?

Also forgot to put holes in the tire, oops. Havent glued the back maybe i can still do it.
Racer425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: norcal
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
that's what I figured but I wasn't sure. Also, what type of glue do you use? I tried your method on here but by the time I was around the wheel with glue the glue where I started was already dried so I had to take another route on gluing them. I think mine sets up in about 5-10 secs. And yes, it is CA glue not super glue.
I use 15-20 second or aka the glue seems to set really fast in the absence of air so once you stick the 2.2 side into the tire rotate it to seat it properly.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...m-CA-Tire-Glue






Quote:
Whats the band for around the tire?? Also I glued the 2.2 side like you did but i forgot to clean them (total of 4). I just blew on them to get anything off it, is that gonna be a problem down the road?

Also forgot to put holes in the tire, oops. Havent glued the back maybe i can still do it.
The band is to help hold the tire bead to the wheel so you can move on to the next wheel.As long as you got any loose particals from the bead surface It will probably be okI scuff the surface to give the glue something to bite into and remove any dirt/oils.
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 36
Default .

Great thread.. ''thank you.!
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass17 View Post

1)Prep wheel (scotch brite pad)and clean tire with simple greeen/glass cleaner or whatever you prefer,put your holes in the tire now(leather punch)
So is punching a vent hole in the tire more effective than the vent hole that is already in the wheel?


Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass17 View Post
The vent hole gets covered to prevent dirt from entering the wheel
You can run them open but dirt can cause balance issues and debris build up inside the tire. There is some debate on which is better. This is what I prefer.
Won't having a vent hole punched in the tire collect more debris than the hole in the wheel?

Is gluing a safety precaution or are the tires that prone to coming off?
Tavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #17
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: norcal
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Tire gluing method

Quote:
Won't having a vent hole punched in the tire collect more debris than the hole in the wheel?
The centrifugal force helps to eject anything that is in the tire. If there is no vent hole on the tire the dirt/debris gets pushed outward and collects between the tire and foam making tires lumpy and off balance.

Quote:
Is gluing a safety precaution or are the tires that prone to coming off?
Gluing is mandatory on wheels that are not beadlock type. They will fall if not glued.
spitfiremk88 likes this.
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Angry Re: Tire gluing method

WOW! IMHO, this is a technique that some of us really need to think about before trying it. I just tried to mount a brand new Proline Badlands 2.2/3.0 on some new DE wheels and the bead popped back off the wheel as I was turning it back to the right side and I got glue on the wheel and the bead ended up glued shut. Now I have a brand new wheel with glue on the outside bead and I almost tore the bead on the tire trying to separate it! F***k!!
1NEMESIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: norcal
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Tire gluing method

Quote:
WOW! IMHO, this is a technique that some of us really need to think about before trying it. I just tried to mount a brand new Proline Badlands 2.2/3.0 on some new DE wheels and the bead popped back off the wheel as I was turning it back to the right side and I got glue on the wheel and the bead ended up glued shut. Now I have a brand new wheel with glue on the outside bead and I almost tore the bead on the tire trying to separate it! F***k!!
Sorry to hear that this did not work for you...did you follow step 2?
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Default Re: Tire gluing method

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass17 View Post
Sorry to hear that this did not work for you...did you follow step 2?
Yeah brother I did, I think that maybe I had too much CA and it could've been that I was mounting the Pro-Line tires on DE wheels too. I think the bead on the wheels may have been to shallow.
I appreciate your concern and your post seabass, I got it worked out and I actually tried again on another mounting and that one went well so again thank you and hello!! Im new and I'm already ranting!! LOL how's that for a newbie huh?! lol!!
1NEMESIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/tires-wheels/21395-tire-gluing-method.html
Posted By For Type Date
Tire Gluing - R/C Tech Forums This thread Pingback 11-14-2012 12:59 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2007 RCShortcourse.com