Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Team Associated SC10

Notices

Thread: Diff grinding,clicking in yor RTR,Kit,RS or geardiff equipped SC10

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #41
Basher

Default Re: New diff needed? Video of problem

I am running a total of 5 shims and all is good. Tried 6 but backed down to 5 with the idea of loosening it up a bit. Shims are the answer.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #42
Racer

I'm running a traxxas shim, which is about two associated shims, along with 1 associated shim on each side. It's a little tighter than my dads losi diff which is almost too smooth. I'm hoping it'll loosen up a little. Also, I'm running on a carpet truck that has medium traction, would I be better off with black grease or 90 weight shock oil. Track guys use 90 shock oil, I'm curious to see the response here.
Carpet Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #43

Default Re: Diff grinding,clicking in yor RTR,Kit,RS or geardiff equipped SC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpet Racer View Post
I'm running a traxxas shim, which is about two associated shims, along with 1 associated shim on each side. It's a little tighter than my dads losi diff which is almost too smooth. I'm hoping it'll loosen up a little. Also, I'm running on a carpet truck that has medium traction, would I be better off with black grease or 90 weight shock oil. Track guys use 90 shock oil, I'm curious to see the response here.

I would think 90w is too heavy/think. I'm running 7000 Associated diff oil. I added a shim on each side of my sons SC10 since his started clicking too this past Friday at the local track. He could not finish the 1st heat even. I had my rebuild kit at the track and added a shim on eash side of the ring gears. Did not solve the clicking. It sounded like it was a much harsher clicking, took more power to get it to skip the gears. So he was done for the night. I rebuilt my diff with all the new gears in the kit. Added the last two shims to my four shims for a total of six, three behind each ring gear. Felt a little tight, but not horribly tight. Ran it and it didn't click at all. I'm calling a/e tomorrow for a rebuild kit for my sons truck. Hopefully it will be here by Thursday so I can get it rebuilt and race Friday.

Last edited by SC10RIG; 02-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.
SC10RIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #44
Addict

Did a practice day on a newly configured (clay churned) indoor clay track. Being green the grip was unbelievable. So much grip that many of the trucks were have the diff gear skipping problems. I have never seen so many trucks with clicking diffs at the same time. My son's had the same issue on a fresh rebuild with double shimming. I eventually had to force one more shim to get it to almost stop. I really couldn't add another shim without it just becoming a spool. I am guessing that the sungear teeth rounded just enough to still allow slipping. Also with so much grip it was hard to get the slipper just right, it was basically tightened down bottoming out the spring.

Are the problems other seeing on indoor clay or tarmac? The 2 outdoor tracks we run on never have great grip so the diffs rarely go bad.
Gigasipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #45
Racer

Damn, that sounds like a ton of traction. My diff feels tight but still moves when I turn the wheels and its easier when I turn both on opposite directions. Will it loosen a little after a couple runs?
Carpet Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #46
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmom23 View Post
Can you just buy the shims mine mushroomed up after about 2 months of use. Mine wasnt an rtr.
Will have sizes in a second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinF View Post
Great write up!
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent701 View Post
Nice write upl Maybe a mod should make this a sticky so the people who can't look up stuff alone can find this at the top and not post about a clicking noise every other day

Good write up though.
yep,agreed.....Just like Nismo Mikes balldiff thread....always active

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC10RIG View Post
The #9829 re-build kit is exactly what a/e sent me for free when I called and told them my problem. They are very aware of the issue and are happy to send anyone a re-build kit for free. Great customer service. Great writeup too by the way.
Thanks..yep,cant beat AE,giving the rebuilds out for free,cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpet Racer View Post
Damn, that sounds like a ton of traction. My diff feels tight but still moves when I turn the wheels and its easier when I turn both on opposite directions. Will it loosen a little after a couple runs?
Yes it will,,depending on the motor,tyres,traction,slipper settings and the like,it may even loosen up after a heat or 2...

I love these things after they have been hammered with a mod motor,or high grip racing...they really smooth out.
Peli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #47
Addict

Added a better pic,and a Video from a fellow RCSC user
Peli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #48

Hey there,

My truck has been making similar noises as the vid here. Did adding the extra shims help? Im based in the UK and the Associated Customer Support isnt as good :( So I was just going to order the diff rebuild kit.

Cheers,
ben
BenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #49

well i just installed shims under sun gear, 5 total 3 on one side 2 on other. put back together and still making noise....WTF!!! help
could it be a gear issue... I can't figure it out, my gears look fine.. would the top shaft bearing cause gears to making clicking/fishing real noise?
Thanks in advance for the HELP
John
ReferJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #50

Thank you LORD......I can do all things through CHRIST who strenghens me.

Figured it out ...added another shim, total 6, then filled with V-TWIN trans
oil-RED LINE OIL shockproof, mounted to STRC motor plate using HONDA 1 blue thread lock,DONE.
thanks also to PELI...great write-up, also this fourm for the help info found in the threads.

John
ReferJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #51

this happened to me too and i just bought brushless and the diff was clicking so i bought a diff rebuild and the next day it did it again so i went my friend and hey races professionally and he took my diff and put 2k shock oil and tightend the diff and it stopped clicking so just tryin to help....
jp1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #52

I'm a bit confused. I had the noise and ordered the shims through customer support. I opened up the transmission and there were already 2 shims behind each gear. The two CS send me are the same size, but about twice as thick. Am I supposed to replace the 2 thin ones with the large one, put all three in or what?
TEVEZ032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #53
Racer

I got the same thing TEVEZ032, the new shims are something like .005 thicker than 2 stock shims together. I put them in by themselves and it seems to work just fine. There was no way I could add them to what was there already or even with one of the stock shims, the single shim they send now is tight by itself.
Kanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #54

hello all, im new here and somewhat new to the rc hobby. I had the clicking happening and thanks to all of you i went out and picked up a rebuild kit, i installed the extra shim each side and used 7k diff oil. But now it seems like the diff is only letting 1 wheel spin freely, for instance while making sharp turns, while turning one direction it will turn very sharply but going the oppostie direction it does not want to turn worth a crap. Anyone else have any insight to this?

Thanks
xDIRTYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #55
Basher

I rebuilt my gear diff 3 times today. I added as many shims as I could and still get the pins in behind the sun gear. It still frickin clicks though.

When you turn one of the rear wheel by hand, the opposite wheel is supposed to rotate in the opposite direction right?

I've really about had it with the gear diff. I'll try to see if I can screw up the ball diff installation next.
beardy_mcnooberton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #56

I just reshimmed my sc10.1.5 rtr rs+ today. i took out the 4 original super thin shims (two on each side behind the sun gears), and replaced them with one of the thicker shims AE sent me. I tried using one original super thin shim in addition to one of the thicker ones I received from AE but it caused way too much binding. So I pulled the pin out and and used only one of the thicker shims behind each sun gear.

I drove it in the street out front and the grind/crunch noise was gone. Tomorrow I'm hitting my local track that is indoor, and has high bite clay. Hopefully the noise doesn't come back! Almost forgot to mention, I was going to use 5k AE dif oil, but when I tried to buy a bottle at my local track, the guys in the shop both recommended using 10k oil.
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #57
Racer

Where do the shims go? Like a thicker gasket?
mg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #58
Vestitor de Deces....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1234 View Post
Where do the shims go? Like a thicker gasket?
Depends on the shim. There are three sizes (outside diameter) in the AE gear diff, lager one goes behind the sun gears, medium goes between the out drives and gear case and the smaller shims go behind the planet gears. See pages 8 and 9 of your manual for shim location.
Eric0424 is online now   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/team-associated-sc10/28658-diff-grinding-clicking-yor-rtr-kit-rs-geardiff-equipped-sc10.html
Posted By For Type Date
SC10 Thread - Page 681 - R/C Tech Forums This thread Refback 12-15-2012 12:14 AM
Rc rally :: Team Asso SC10 - bruit transmission This thread Refback 09-10-2012 01:50 AM

Diff grinding,clicking in yor RTR,Kit,RS or geardiff equipped SC10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ball diff help needed asap! LEWETHETIGER73 Losi XXX-SCT 5 11-15-2011 10:42 AM
novak problem race video GAZ-V-21 Jammin SCRT-10 10 09-03-2011 11:06 PM
novak problem race video GAZ-V-21 Electronics 12 09-03-2011 08:27 PM
HPIZ449 diff diff screws needed but out of stock everywhere. discgolferlee HPI Blitz 9 07-31-2010 11:16 AM
How much Diff grease is needed Firefly Team Associated SC10 9 03-02-2010 02:59 PM