Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Team Associated SC10 4x4

Notices

Thread: New truck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Racer

Default New truck

I seen where Associated released an new truck Nov. 25 called the ProSC 4x4 is this the one that is replacing the SC10 4x4 or just an up graded pro lite?
Nitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: New truck

It's a mildly upgraded ProLite, still a Thunder Tiger product.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Racer

ok wasn't sure if it was the new sc10 4x4 or not. or if they even plan on replacing it.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

They're not planning anything in the way a of a new 4x4 short course at the moment. Not sure if 4x4 short course is just not popular anymore on the national/international level or if they just don't have a driver running in the class.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Addict

The last discussions I had with someone with AE was a while ago, but the thought process they stated was that they could look into doing a 1/8 scale based vehicle similar to what Losi and Tekno have done.

What I would be curious about is if this current vehicle will have any race level support even at a club level.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:49 AM   #6
Racer

Just my opinion, but I don't see the market for a new truck, not just from Associated but from anyone, the TLR and Tenko 4x4 trucks are already really good, and require very little need for hop ups to improve them, other than personal preference, and the bling factor. IMO I only see Associated focusing on their buggies, 2WD trucks and bashers and not getting into a competitive side of the 4x4's . At our local track the 2WD and 4x4 trucks still have a decent following and at the larger races we have had close to 30 trucks in the 4x4 class and more than that in 2WD SCT and most are all TLR and Tenko in 4x4, but have heard in other areas around the country that they are not very large classes and on the decline.

Last edited by Nitronut; 12-04-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Short course popularity does seem to be on the decline in a lot of areas. I think racers are realizing stadium trucks and 2wd buggies are faster and handle better than the 2wd SC. With the some of the SC 4x4's being just modified 1/8 buggies and other being nearly as heavy, they're seeing the same improved performance if they just race the 1/8 buggy and truck classes or 1/10 4x4 buggy. I read where some drivers who once ran short course along with other classes are now shying away from it, the scale appearance novelty seems to be wearing thin. Also noticed some 4x4 short course trucks are now discontinued by other manufactures. I believe AE noticed this decline some time ago and chose to shelve the 4x4 SC truck and are focusing on their new mid-motor buggy and stadium trucks. If they don't have anyone running 4x4 short course they also lose a lot of R&D input from the drivers.

Two wheel drive SC still has a decent following although it too has declined some, but you never know if/when either one will pick back up again. We may still see a 4x4 short course truck from AE but I don't think it's going to be anytime soon.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Racer

The thing is IMO like you said with AE not having any drivers in that class they lose all the RD feedback, as well as them merging with Thunder tiger who really only makes bashers / toys not anything that's worth while in a racing atmosphere. So really no need for them to get back into a market where they really have been lacking in for some time.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronut View Post
The thing is IMO like you said with AE not having any drivers in that class they lose all the RD feedback, as well as them merging with Thunder tiger who really only makes bashers / toys not anything that's worth while in a racing atmosphere. So really no need for them to get back into a market where they really have been lacking in for some time.
That merger was nine years ago and most of Thunder Tiger's influence is the Qualifier Series being sold under the Associated brand. AE has a much better/clearer view of what's popular and what's fading than we do and they're certainly not going to shy away from competition in any class despite the tekno and Losi fan-boys delusions of grandeur. If there was a market for it they would build one, but if they see a decline then they may not want to waste the time and energy on a truck who's class could possibly disappear soon regardless of the random local popularity.

If they thought the class was strong enough they would probably just convert their own 1/8 buggy to 4x4 short course. That would be a quickest and easiest way to compete with the other 1/8 converts, but they haven't which leads me to believe the class is fading faster than we think.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Addict

Unfortunately for the Associated Fanboys, myself included at one time, we were not supported in the manner sufficient that we received with other vehicles that are part of the AE line up when it came to the SC10 4x4.

Having ran the vehicle from when it was first released until I purchased the Tekno SCT410 and made the switch when it was released, in comparison to other AE vehicles I have owned ranging from B4's to T4's and SC10 2wds, the amount of support for the conditions we were running in was very low at best. This wasn't during a decline, this period was during the hey day of SCT and can be easily seen on a variety of forums with the traffic present for those sc10 4x4 specific threads.

The apparent fact that of the AE line of up vehicles that were current to that time period it appears the SC10 4x4 was the only one that we couldn't even get a rear toe in block system from AE was a sad state of affairs. Once M2C made there version we were able to better plant the trucks on loose conditions.

But, I see what happened to the vehicle, it was basically designed for a class that morphed into what it is today and not what it was when it was originally designed and fielded. Its prowess is present on indoor 1/10 sized higher traction tracks, on 1/8 sized tracks with low traction, it suffers. But that is what the class morphed to, and if the vehicle was able to keep up with the competition dedicated to that, it would be not discontinued right now with no clear picture if its design will come back, if at all.

Fortunately for Losi and Tekno, their vehicles seem popular enough that Losi is on version 2.0, and Tekno keeps releasing parts for there vehicles to keep it at a high level versus sitting still like other companies do at times.

For some I guess, it worked out, others, guess it didn't, kind of like Losi's Strike

Last edited by Cain; 12-04-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Parts unique to the ProSC 4x4 (I prefer ProLiite Plus or ProLite .2), but what the hell. I guess "Pro" SC 4x4 will do for now.

It's a short list and they had to disassemble the shocks to get it, it's basically a shock, tire and body/paint upgrade for the ProLite.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #12

The 4x4 SC is pretty popular at our local track but we are havin a 30 truck turnout on a Wednesday nite for 17.5 SC IMHO just seem much more fun to race
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
The 4x4 SC is pretty popular at our local track but we are havin a 30 truck turnout on a Wednesday nite for 17.5 SC IMHO just seem much more fun to race
personally, I think 4x4 SCT coudl benefit from a slower "stock" setup.

I never understood the logic that because its 4wd, we need full mod for offroad.

A slower class would help imho.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Short course is still popular in some areas and fading or gone in others, in some places 4x4 is more popular than 2wd and in others it's just the opposite. Some are just bored with short course racing altogether and moving back to stadium truck or 2wd and 4x4 buggy.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
Addict

Quote:
Wow, there is none in my area which I why I ended up going with 2wd.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

New truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline Tires Truck, Buggy 2wd/4wd fronts, AKA truck wheels, SC foam valentin For Sale 0 11-19-2013 09:18 PM
**RE-Updated with actual pic of the truck**Tamiya Mammoth Dump truck FS gearguy70 For Sale 0 04-16-2011 01:57 PM
PSI Racing Mid Motor MM2 Short Course Truck Conversion for Academy GV2T 2wd Truck Cain General ShortCourse 30 06-07-2010 01:03 PM
NO LIMIT RC 2wd Short Course Tuff Truck Class at the RC Monster Truck World Finals 5 No Limit RC Races 16 05-06-2010 05:36 AM