Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Team Associated SC10 4x4

Notices

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: broken steering arm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #1

Default broken steering arm

has any broken the steering arm at the servo saver
the last one time it happened to me i hit a tree with a savage xss
i am wonder if it is a freak occurance or should start looking for aluminum upgrades.
swaswick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Vestitor de Deces....

Default Re: broken steering arm

It's probably just a fluke as any part is in danger of breaking under the right conditions, but I've beaten the crap out of my 4x4 and the only part I've broken was the battery strap. I've had to rebuild and shim both diffs though.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaswick23 View Post
has any broken the steering arm at the servo saver
the last one time it happened to me i hit a tree with a savage xss
i am wonder if it is a freak occurance or should start looking for aluminum upgrades.

It is a commom thing with the SC10 4X4, upgrade to a STRC aluminum steering bellcrank problem solved.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
It is a commom thing with the SC10 4X4, upgrade to a STRC aluminum steering bellcrank problem solved.
Its common if your bellcrank nut is too tight, there should be a sizable gap between the coils on the spring.
Eric0424 likes this.
Apexracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
Addict

Quote:
problem not solved, if you still have a poorly set up servo saver, you will start breaking servo horns, or stripping your servo, instead of breaking your steering bellcrank. the whole aluminum up is not the best option, as when you set it up correctly you will not break the plastic parts, but poorly setup aluminum parts will put more strain on the remaining plastic parts, as well as the electronics (in this case the servo).
Ram runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
Basher

Even set up right or wrong i've seen more of the plastic arms on the bellcrank break then any other part on the SC10 4X4.

I broke mine the very first time I ran my truck, bought a STRC bellcrank and "Problem Solved"
Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Addict

Quote:
Even set up right or wrong i've seen more of the plastic arms on the bellcrank break then any other part on the SC10 4X4.

I broke mine the very first time I ran my truck, bought a STRC bellcrank and "Problem Solved"
forgot to include the official disclaimer: induvidual results me vary

while yes that will work, there is more to it then just aluminum up and not care about the rest. for some drivers their driving style may cause the stress that breaks the part, which will start wearing down other components on the steering system. will it work for some people? of course. for everyone? no. would i ever reccomend it? no.

i personally avoid alluminum because it doesnt really flex, its stiff, so a hard blow to an aluminum sends the forces straight to the next plastic part, where a plastic part may bend enough to obsorb the impact, or the "carbon" parts that ft and other makers have as aftermarket parts for some trucks.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Addict

unfortunately this is an area that has been known to break with experienced drivers as well. It would probably be more of a non-issue if getting to that part for replacement wasn't as involved as it is.

That said, I never broke the part myself, but have seen a few broken before on light hits. I got in an SC10 4x4 FT that had the alloy part, so i used it minus the joining link so I could use the new factory team one with the more rearward holes.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #9

i have never broken this part unless it involved a tree
and i agree its a PITA to get to inever want to break again thats for sure
swaswick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #10

Broke mine first time at the track. It only took a fairly light hit to the wall to snap it. Luckily they had it in stock and in about 20 min I was back on the track.
rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohn929 View Post
Broke mine first time at the track. It only took a fairly light hit to the wall to snap it. Luckily they had it in stock and in about 20 min I was back on the track.
How tight do you have the nut on the bell crank? People need to realize this nut needs to be on the looser side. The bell crank is suppose to flex on impact. Thats the whole point of having a built in servo saver.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Basher

ive broke one, only because my wheel nut fell off and slammed into a wall down the straightaway. changed the nut for the servo saver to a smaller on so its not too hard at all for the saver to work. stock is a bit too tight for my liking. but you cant really loosin it with the stock nut or the steering rack thing wont be flush when you screw it all together (at least mine)

i must ask if anyone else keeps loosin wheel nuts on the drivers side causing sparatic wheel loss and the joke "must be drivin the wheels off that thing"?

Last edited by cantthinkofanewname; 04-05-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: cant spell
cantthinkofanewname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofanewname View Post
ive broke one, only because my wheel nut fell off and slammed into a wall down the straightaway. changed the nut for the servo saver to a smaller on so its not too hard at all for the saver to work. stock is a bit too tight for my liking. but you cant really loosin it with the stock nut or the steering rack thing wont be flush when you screw it all together (at least mine)

i must ask if anyone else keeps loosin wheel nuts on the drivers side causing sparatic wheel loss and the joke "must be drivin the wheels off that thing"?
yes I did have this issue, mostly on the rear wheels. I put the black locknuts with a dab of loctite back on the rig and the issue has mostly gone away, but luckily the wheel nuts fly off quick once they get loose, so I don't strip many wheels.

as far as the joke, I hear it alot, mostly because I'm usually the guy running tight lines often on two wheels.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Vestitor de Deces....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofanewname View Post
The only wheel nuts I've had come loose were the ones that were worn out. When the nylon locknuts are easy to remove/tighten it's time to replace them. Some claim they're using the serrated nuts and not damaging the wheels, but the ones I used on others cars and trucks did in fact damage the wheels. So I just keep extra wheel locknuts for my cars/trucks in the pit box.

EDIT: It should also be noted, when nylon wheel nuts start losing their tension after two or three installations, it usually means the threads on the axle are damaged and they're damaging the wheel nuts. To fix this, you can replace the damaged axles or use a die of the proper thread to re-cut and true the threads on the axle.

Last edited by Eric0424; 04-05-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
How tight do you have the nut on the bell crank? People need to realize this nut needs to be on the looser side. The bell crank is suppose to flex on impact. Thats the whole point of having a built in servo saver.
It was not over tightened and had had plenty of spring action in the servo saver. It just happened to be the angle I bounced off the wall.

People need to realize that even when it's built correctly it can still break.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #16
Basher

Quote:
It was not over tightened and had had plenty of spring action in the servo saver. It just happened to be the angle I bounced off the wall.

People need to realize that even when it's built correctly it can still break.
You can lead a horse to water
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #17

Quote:
You can lead a horse to water
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure people tighten it down way to much all the time thinking it will improve steering response but just because mine broke doesn't mean I am one of them. When I get quoted I take it as being directed towards me so I will respond. No harm, no foul.

As far as breaking parts, that happened to be the only thing I have broken... except the body. I have bashed in my back yard, multiple open practice sessions with a bunch of bashers that have a firm belief that rubbing is racing and have run maybe 50 or so packs through it. The diffs are holding up well although I am going to go through them soon to check the fluid since it does weep a little on the outdrives. All around this is one of my favorites minus my Wraith but I do have a Tekno SCT410 coming monday so it might be short lived.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
Basher

All i'm saying is that it's known to be a weak spot on the SC10 4X4.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #19

Roger. I can get a little defensive in the morning. My bad.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
Racer

Quote:
Roger. I can get a little defensive in the morning. My bad.
No your cool, the rtr kits come with them cranked tight from the factory, and the manual setting for the ft truck is still honestly too tight. Nobody's upset here just trying to get some useful information out their bud

broken steering arm - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which servo arm for Pro Line steering JeepGuy Traxxas Slash 2 08-15-2012 02:31 PM
nexx 10sc Broken front lower A-arm Shack166 Jammin SCRT-10 2 01-27-2012 06:56 PM
Caster Block / Steering Arm question BulldogSRT HPI Blitz 8 08-12-2010 03:42 AM
Breakage-steering arm ihcj9 HPI Blitz 7 03-11-2010 06:42 PM
metal servo steering arm greenblitz HPI Blitz 8 03-05-2010 06:18 AM