Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Team Associated SC10 4x4

Notices

Thread: 6.5 Novak 540 motor in a SC10 4x4??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Racer

Default 6.5 Novak 540 motor in a SC10 4x4??

The other night it occurred to me that I have a 6.5t, 540, novak, sitting on the shelf, collecting dust. It was used once in my b4 buggy (where it almost went in to orbit), and once in my buddies late model, where he exclamed "Get that thing out of my car before I kill someone."

So, in a great stroke of genius, I realized I may be able to use this in my new SC10 4X4 with the MMP I have as a back up on the shelf..

What do you guys think? MMP + 540 6.5t novak + 5300mah 65C 2S Lipo = ??????????
I would use the 48p gears and probly a 15/87 or 16/93 gear ratio..
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Addict

Cant imagine it would be suitable at all for a heavy SC truck

Nowhere near enough power handling capability to push it along at a decent speed

Cheers
crusey_aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusey_aus View Post
Cant imagine it would be suitable at all for a heavy SC truck

Nowhere near enough power handling capability to push it along at a decent speed

Cheers
yup, not near enough torque to power a 4x4 sc
roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Racer

Don't suppose putting in the tuning rotor would help either then eh?

Thank you guys..
Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Addict

People are running 5.5 540 cans with good results. Very fast. A 6.5 should have a little more torque and run at a little lowwer rpm so why not. Just keep a close eye on the temps. It's going to run hot.

A guy at our indoor track is running an LRP X-12 5.5 (540) motor, once he got the gearing dialed he is able to run it hard for a 7 min. main without melting anything and it's hella fast. I belive he actually has his throttle end point dialed back to 80% (if I am remembering correctly).
PanicRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicRev View Post
People are running 5.5 540 cans with good results. Very fast. A 6.5 should have a little more torque and run at a little lowwer rpm so why not. Just keep a close eye on the temps. It's going to run hot.

A guy at our indoor track is running an LRP X-12 5.5 (540) motor, once he got the gearing dialed he is able to run it hard for a 7 min. main without melting anything and it's hella fast. I belive he actually has his throttle end point dialed back to 80% (if I am remembering correctly).
not disagreeing, people do all sorts of things and get away with it, it's not a speed issue (anything can be fast) but a torque/power issue.
the reality is that these 550-can motors were specifically designed for the 4x4 SC market as a result of earlier problems people had with melting down the smaller 540 motors trying to keep these heavier rigs rolling.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Basher

540 motors work well when the track is a smaller 1/10 style track, but for bigger 1/8 style tracks, the 540 tends to have heat issues under hard braking and longer straights
ShagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Addict

I know here it wouldnt work, we are hitting 200 with the 550 motors.
Outkast187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Addict

The only 540 can that seemed to pack enough punch was the castle 3800kv 4 pole, even with that motor it heats on long straights and overly large tracks, My novak 550 runs hot so I would hate to see a 540 melt through the chassis.

Last edited by Anthor; 07-22-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Anthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Addict

Quote:
not disagreeing, people do all sorts of things and get away with it, it's not a speed issue (anything can be fast) but a torque/power issue.
the reality is that these 550-can motors were specifically designed for the 4x4 SC market as a result of earlier problems people had with melting down the smaller 540 motors trying to keep these heavier rigs rolling.
AE's initial press release specified that they designed the truck to work with 540 and 550 motors, had tested with both and found both to be viable components.

I did specify that the truck I described is running on an indoor track (though not air-conditioned). Some of the factory guys at AE are also running them as are many top racers. Since we don't know where bigstu is running his truck I shared the knowledge I have of the equipment he inquired about. I also stated that he needed to keep an eye on the temps.

Quote:
My novak 500 runs hot so I would hate to see a 540 melt through the chassis.
I have no idea what a Novak 500 is but any electric motor would fail before it melted any plastic.

Last edited by PanicRev; 07-21-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #11

Run it, the motor has no idea what vehicle it's in other than it's weight,drag,etc. So just because it's an "SCT" doesn't mean squat, it's not like they are the first 6-7lb 4wd cars.There is nothing wrong in trying it and see if it works for you. I run a 540 motor in a Durango and was told I'd thermal bad.... never has. I also run a 540 in my sc10 4x4 and it works fine. Feel free to disagree but after 30 years of racing rc cars you won't change my mind.
IF--- I ran at a much bigger track or the level of competition was higher I would go to a 550 motor.

ps I am invulnerable to marketing hype so don't mind me.
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Banned

i always get a kick out of it when everyone (with nothing to lose) chimes into a discussion like this saying "do it, do it, do it" ---
--- reminds me of back in highschool when all the kids were daring the dumb guy to jump off the second story roof of his house.

also reminds me of what my dad would tell me when I was a kid, "You can do what you want, but don't come whining when you hurt yourself."

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinkreeper View Post
kinda like some one who does not owne a sc10 4x4 (roberto) posting in the sc10 4x4 forum
kinda like someone whose level of expertise is limited to a Duratrax Evader DT (blazinkreeper) posting in the sc10 4x 4 forum

Last edited by roberto; 07-23-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicRev View Post
AE's initial press release specified that they designed the truck to work with 540 and 550 motors, had tested with both and found both to be viable components.

I did specify that the truck I described is running on an indoor track (though not air-conditioned). Some of the factory guys at AE are also running them as are many top racers. Since we don't know where bigstu is running his truck I shared the knowledge I have of the equipment he inquired about. I also stated that he needed to keep an eye on the temps.

I have no idea what a Novak 500 is but any electric motor would fail before it melted any plastic.
That was a typo, and I really dont want to start anything, but personaly, i have melted a tt01e chassis from too hot of a motor, you have to remember how many differant types of mixes of plastics every one in the hobby world deals with,
Anthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
Racer

I asked the questions because I smoked a castle 4600kv motor in my scte. I purchased the truck from a local hobby shop and the guy behind the counter led me to the path of a MMP and the 4600kv motor.
It hauled, but not for very long. I was competing on a carpet indoor track, during the winter. First 8 minute main we ran, and she came off with a nice smell. 4 minute races wern't a problem with some cool down time, but not 8.
I asked the question because I didn't want to burn down another motor.
Thank you everyone for the help. For now, I picked up a 1410 castle motor and will see what happens on the new tekin 4-poles.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #15
Addict

Quote:
i always get a kick out of it when everyone (with nothing to lose) chimes into a discussion like this saying "do it, do it, do it" ---
--- reminds me of back in highschool when all the kids were daring the dumb guy to jump off the second story roof of his house.
Heaven forbid if I don't agree with someone who has 250 posts in 15 days.....and doesn't own an sc10 4x4 (current info on your profile).....my bad.

Quote:
For now, I picked up a 1410 castle motor and will see what happens on the new tekin 4-poles.
I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with your choice Stu. The fastest guy at our track runs one with no problems what so ever. Plenty of grunt. He even has some punch control dialed into his MMP.

Last edited by PanicRev; 07-22-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
Addict

I'm 100% with panicrev on this one,One of the guys I race with on a regular basis runs a 6.5t sensored motor in his and is very competive.It would be advisable to anyone to run a fan on the motor and gear it right.

The advice given by panicrev is solid, To the original poster...that castle motor rips!! We have a few guy's running them and thay hang with my 550 motor no problem

Last edited by seabass17; 07-23-2011 at 11:12 PM.
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto View Post

also reminds me of what my dad would tell me when I was a kid, "You can do what you want, but don't come whining when you hurt yourself."
kinda like some one who does not owne a sc10 4x4 (roberto) posting in the sc10 4x4 forum
blazinkreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
World Domination Tour!

Cool your jets gentlemen.

I'm watching.
Dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
Racer

Thank you Dez. I didn't want to have to issue a time out.

Took the truck to the indoor track today. Have some handling work to do but I am happy so far.

With the castle 1410 motor and my MMP, temps after 6 minutes were motor 135, esc 140, and it was hot inside. The track is very tight and high traction, so I may try timing or turning down the punch control. Still has a lot of motor for the small course. May try the 6.5 turn with some 48 pitch gears just to see what it does. I like sensored motors.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #20

6.5T Novaks aren't something I would recommend...

They have very high KV ratings (BAD) for the turns of wire, partially due to the tiny diameter rotors they use.

I'd use a LRP X12 Octa 6.5T (5200 RPM/V vs 6200 RPM/V of the Novak).

Also, they come with a 12.5mm rotor, so that extra torque, plus the fact it's an Octa, would make them more situable than Ballistic 540s.

But I'd choose a 1410 over them any day. I've ordered one, by the way.
Artikbot is offline   Reply With Quote