Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > Newbie ShortCourse

Notices

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By EminenceFront
  • 1 Post By Need4Speed
  • 1 Post By elmoracer
  • 1 Post By Need4Speed

Thread: Arrma Fury BLX vs Arrma Senton 4X4

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

Default Arrma Fury BLX vs Arrma Senton 4X4

So I am new to this hobby and looking to get into it with my son as a way to get outside with him. I have been trying to learn about some of the hobby and holy crap is it a bit intimidating. I am now looking at a Arrma fury BLX and a Arrma Senton 4X4 and I am curious why is the 4X4 $230 and the 2wd one $260?! (Shouldn’t 4wd demand a higher price?!) Is there a clearly superior vehicle between the two and what are their key differences?

Again I am gonna be buying two so if one is better for a 13yo and one more suitable for myself please let me know!

Thanks

Ps This is literally the first forum or group I’ve ever joined, I am trying to follow the rules but if I make a mistake or post incorrectly let me know.

Last edited by EminenceFront; 01-20-2018 at 10:16 AM.
EminenceFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
Addict

Default Re: Arrma Fury BLX vs Arrma Senton 4X4

If it were me and I were looking for an RC for my kids I would go with the Senton 4x4. I did a review recently and I love mine. Check it out here: REVIEW: Arrma Senton 4x4 MEGA

The reason for the price discrepancy comes from the brushless system in the BLX. Arrma's brushless vehicles carry quite a premium over their brushed counterparts. The $239 that the Senton 4x4 costs is the bargain of the century if you ask me. The truck comes with everything you need to get it running and comes with the best RTR tires that I have used to date. The 4x4 will be easier to drive than the brushless 2wd Fury as well.

Welcome to the forum and i hope this helps!
elmoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #3

Smile Re: Arrma Fury BLX vs Arrma Senton 4X4

Well thank you for he info; it helps a lot and I think I’ll be going with the Senton 4X4 for sure. For being a “lower level” model it looks like it will be more than enough to keep a couple of beginners happy for a while lol.

Thanks again
elmoracer likes this.
EminenceFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Addict

ARRMA recently went bankrupt, not sure I would recommend this brand right now... overall support will be shaky for a while... I would wait for a reputable brand to announce they are buying them, if the brand doesn't sell, then they will more than likely go out of business completely.

Other brands to consider right now for basher grade SCT's are RedCat, HoBao, TeamEnergy, Associated, Losi and ECX

If I was to buy an SCT for a family member today, I'd probably go with this:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-te...3010t1/p637273
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
Addict

Hobbico's bankruptcy filing hasn't affected Arrma's customer service at all. I spoke to them on Friday regarding the receiver question I had and they were more than accommodating, even going so far as to check with Futaba to see if there was anything that they could do. Arrma's customer service is second to none in my experience and I will stand behind that statement.

I understand the hesitation in recommending a brand that is going through a tough time but that doesn't change the fact that the Senton is a great truck for beginners and experienced drivers alike.

I urge everyone to do their research before buying a truck to make sure it is exactly what you want, as that will determine your experience with the hobby. If one of the other brands trucks fit your needs better, go for it. I can recomeend the Arrma because I have beat the daylights out of mine and have had a great experience with it. I haven't driven any of the 4x4 SC's that N4S mentioned above but I did drive my Senton back to back with my Slash 4x4 and while slower, the Senton handles much better.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
Addict

quick history:

2014 - HPI was dominating the basher market and considered the best (at the time), then Traxxas slapped them with a patent infringement lawsuit, HPI would later go bankrupt and was eventually sold to a company with no significant RC experience and they haven't recovered since, they've been plagued with poor parts supply chain issues and haven't released anything significant to the industry since

2016 - ARRMA would replace HPI and became the next top dog, so it was no surprise that Traxxas would again prove themselves as "patent trolls" and would again file litigation against ARRMA for patent infringement, of course it would be a matter of time for ARRMA to go bankrupt as well while Traxxas exercises their monopoly on the industry. While ARRMA's parts support is currently "marginally acceptable" they aren't fully stocked on spares with many parts already starting to go on back order.

2018 - Who will buy ARRMA? This is the tipping point for the brand, will they fall just like HPI or will they recover? Only time will tell... but who is willing to take that chance.... I would not hide any facts and would provide full disclosure to anyone new just getting into the hobby.
elmoracer likes this.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
Addict

I agree that Traxxas is using its market presence to throw its weight around but I would hesitate to say that that is what caused Hobbico's filing bankruptcy. Unfortunately, it was a combination of things including the lawsuit, but one thing that didn't cause their downturn was bad vehicles. The product is really good and that fact remains.

An issue that Arrma will face in the near future will be parts distribution as Tower is their primary method for getting parts into customers hands. If Arrma is sold as part of the restructuring that will mean the new owners will have to find a distributor for the parts and vehicles in the US and globally. The same with Axial, Duratrax, etc. If Hobbico sells the house brands and relinquishes distribution rights to other brands such as Futaba, then there would be a vacuum left behind that smaller distributors would need to fill or that a large distributor would have to take over. At best, Hobbico will be able to restructure with its core brands intact. At worst, those brands could be off the market for a while until things get ironed out.

Personally, I want to see more competition in the market. The more brands selling good products, the better. It will push other brands to step up their game and improve the quality of all products as there will be no room for second best anymore. With Traxxas dominating the market, essentially bullying others out of it, we could potentially be stuck with what they give us and if it stinks, oh well, where are you going to go? This is of course hypothetical as Traxxas currently makes really good vehicles but with no competition they would be free to produce what they deem as adequate and whether the product is good or not we would be stuck with it. That would be similar to what happened in the US auto industry in the 70's, the big three thought that they could get away with selling an inferior product because of brand loyalty and market share and then the Japanese brands arrived and did things not only differently but better. Now we have US cars that are sold on a global market and are the best that they have ever been.
Need4Speed likes this.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #8
Addict

I would love to see Traxxas clean up their act, right now they are piss poor when it comes to quality and innovation, it's ironic because Traxxas is credited to introducing the Monster Truck class which would evolve into the Truggy class, they also brought us the Short Course (which this forum is based on :) ) however, all the original designers and leadership have since left Traxxas and it's no longer the same company that it once was. If they keep following the same direction, then I only see one of 2 things happening...

1) All US based basher companies will be forced into bankruptcy... sure you can make up whatever excuses you want, but once a lawsuit is filed, that will be the death of each respective brand. This will force all new innovation to come from overseas where they are not easily bullied and then we fall into the dark ages of RC unless overseas can pick up the slack.

2) Boycott Traxxas, not necessarily to the point where they go out of business, but hopefully to the point where they are forced to shrink, and/or make some public statement that they release their patent rights which will allow the industry to grow again.

All I see right now is that Traxxas is killing the industry and something needs to change because Traxxas is exercising their monopoly in the worst possible way.
elmoracer likes this.

Last edited by Need4Speed; 01-21-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Tags
arrma, beginner, electric

Arrma Fury BLX vs Arrma Senton 4X4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arrma Senton 4x4 MEGA 12mm hex: How To elmoracer Tires and Wheels 2 06-05-2019 07:45 AM
REVIEW: Arrma Senton 4x4 MEGA elmoracer General ShortCourse 5 05-01-2019 09:59 AM
Arrma Senton 6s BLX Drewb0nnell Newbie ShortCourse 3 03-27-2016 04:47 PM
Arrma Senton 6s BLX - is this car legal at the tracks??? Drewb0nnell General ShortCourse 2 03-20-2016 11:43 AM