Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > Newbie ShortCourse

Notices

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Need4Speed
  • 1 Post By Need4Speed

Thread: Questions about ROAR Approved Motor/ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

Default Questions about ROAR Approved Motor/ESC

Hello everyone, I am new here and had a few questions.
I will soon be starting ROAR Racing using my built Slash 4x4. I have been to my local track a bunch of times and finally want to start ROAR Racing. I also have a Tekno SCT410.3, but that is another story.

I currently am running the stock 4-Pole Traxxas 3500 and VXL-3 ESC, but want to switch it out to be ROAR Legal. I have gone over the approved motor/esc list but still had a few questions. In the Rulebook under 4x4 Shortcourse, it says any ROAR Approved "05" and 550 motor is legal, but under the Approved Motors list, they have them separated into categories....1/8, 4x4SCT, 1/8 Mod, and so on. Can I use any Approved Motor for 4x4 SCT or does it need to be listed under 4x4sct approved motors?

I have been looking at a few different ones, such as the Hobbywing 3660SD-G2 4300kv, which is listed as a 1/8 Scale Approved motor.

I have also been looking at the Castle Mamba X/1410-3800kv 540 setup, Which I know is approved under 4x4sct.

Does anyone know if I can use any ROAR Approved motor or does it need to be listed under the 4x4sct list?

Also, haveone have any recommendations on a Motor/ESC Combo that they run in ROAR Racing.
BadAssRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
Addict

Default Re: Questions about ROAR Approved Motor/ESC

I think it's a shade of gray area that is best left unanswered... I currently run with the Hobbywing 3660SD-G2 4300kv in my SCT410.1 and that's been accepted at the local regional ROAR races I've attended simply because the motor is a "ROAR Approved Motor". Ultimately the final decision is up to your local race director, so you need to clear it with them. Honestly, most clubs won't really care what you're running these days just to keep the SC class alive, ha!
elmoracer likes this.
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:33 AM   #3

I have heard the same, they only care if its ROAR approved and not really what class of motor it is.

What ESC are you running with that motor.
Ideally, I would want to run the Hobbywing XeRun 3660SD-G2 4300kv with the Hobbywing XeRun XR8 SCT. If I remember correctly, the XR8 is not an approved ESC tho. I dont know why Hobbywing hasnt got that ESC approved.

If anything, I may got with the Mamba X/1410-3800kv setup, my local hoobyshop has the setup for under $165 until the 10th because of Back Friday/Cyber Monday deals.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #4
Addict

I'm running the HW SCT Pro ESC, the XR8 is overkill, unless you absolutely need to have the HV BEC option... I also run the SCT Pro in my EB48.3 too, runs great on 4S... plus HW offers a deep discount trade in program for broken HW ESC's outside warranty, the discount they offer will vary.

Not sure if there is a ROAR requirement for ESC's in Open Mod classes... typically those ROAR approvals on the ESC's are for stock classes in blinky mode, I don't think I've ever seen anyone tech the SCT class, maybe at a big national event, but for regular club racing the RD will most likely be happy to let you run whatever you got just to keep the class numbers up... but if your track is super competitive and you're blowing the doors off everyone else, then I can see them starting to scrutinize what everyone's running in their cars.

Our club doesn't care if you use a ROAR approved battery either, they only tech the voltage reading before the mains if it looks like someone might be cheating (over charging) during the quals.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #5

Main reason I wanted the XR8 SCT Pro is because Hobbywing recommends the XR8 Plus or XR8 SCT Pro to be used with the XeRun 3660/3652 SD G2 Motors.
Also, Hobbywing sells it in a Combo, XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD G2 4300kv, which is the same price as buying the 3660 SD G2 and the SCT Pro ESC seperatley.

I need to talk to my track about what they require for ROAR Approved stuff. Hopefully they allow the 3660 SD G2 in the 4x4 SCT Class because that motor is listed as a 1/8 Scale Approved Motor, while the 3652 SD G2 is listed as a 4x4 SCT Motor.

According to the Rulebook, any ROAR Approved Motor is allowed. It doesnt mention anything about the ESC as some classes listed in here do, so you are probably right about them not inspecting the ESC unless it is a Blinky mode/class. Classes like the 1/8 Scale Buggy/Truggy specify "1/8 Scale ROAR Approved Motor Only".

8.10.13.2 Motor ANY ROAR Approved 05 Size Brushless Motor or 550 size Brushless Motor

8.10.13.2.1 Battery ANY ROAR Approved 2S LiPo (7.4volt), or 2S LiFe (6.6volt)

Last edited by BadAssRC; 11-30-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
Addict

Most clubs in my area have relaxed the 2S limit for the 4WD SCT class, many folks are running 3S and some on 4S with true 1/8 electronics. The class would be completely dead if tracks didn't offer that much flexibility... there are many who think ROAR made a mistake when they limited 4WD SCT to 2S.... one club in my area has both a 1/8 track and a smaller 1/10 track on the same facility:

Click the image to open in full size.

The owner restricts the 1/10 track to 2S max, but will allow 3S and 4S on the 1/8 track.... when he's running ROAR sanctioned events, then he limits to 2S on the 1/8 track.

2000kV(ish) motor is best with 4S
3000kV(ish) motor is best with 3S
4000kV(ish) motor is best with 2S

The higher the cell count, the better efficiency you get with cooler temps, longer run times and increased battery longevity.
elmoracer likes this.

Questions about ROAR Approved Motor/ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ROAR approved scotth Electronics 3 07-15-2013 11:58 AM
WTB:Roar approved 17.5t brushless and esc jacolu3 Wanted 0 06-20-2012 07:28 PM
2s 7.4v Roar Approved lipos Like New JWSC For Sale 0 05-13-2011 11:59 PM
roar approved lipos? how do you know? traxbasher Electronics 43 10-20-2010 09:17 AM
Where are all of the ROAR approved batteries? Ghostrider86 Electronics 2 12-17-2009 05:18 PM