Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > Newbie ShortCourse

Notices

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By elmoracer
  • 1 Post By ken webb
  • 1 Post By bubbaslash

Thread: Slash 2wd parts problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

Question Slash 2wd parts problems

I would like to know of any problems with stock Slash parts. All parts.
ken webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
Addict

Default Re: Slash 2wd parts problems

Caster blocks are a known weak point on all 2wd Traxxas vehicles that use that style of front end (i assume you mean the 2wd just by your other thread). Shock caps are a problem spot as well. Aluminum replacements are the answer to both problems.
Mike Flea likes this.
elmoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Addict

shock shafts tend to bend fairly easily too, no known fix for this fundamental design flaw with the HCG chassis, the LCG chassis is far less prone to bending shock shafts

Click the image to open in full size.
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Racer

TiNi shafts all but eliminate this issue. We don't bash, but my HCG Sleeper Slash has a lot of successful races under its belt with no bent shafts

Last edited by bubbaslash; 05-26-2017 at 03:53 PM.
bubbaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Addict

Many folks still report bending and/or snapping their TiNi shafts too:
TiNi Shock Shafts - Traxxas Slash 2WD @ URC Forums
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
Many folks still report bending and/or snapping their TiNi shafts too:
TiNi Shock Shafts - Traxxas Slash 2WD @ URC Forums
The stock shafts must be made out of the same coat hangers they make hinge pins and king pins out of. When steel is hardened, it becomes less pliable, so it is easier to break. Nothing is totally bulletproof, but 3 trucks with a few years of racing on them with no bending or breakage.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

Question Re: Slash 2wd parts problems

What parts do you use?
Old 05-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #8
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
shock shafts tend to bend fairly easily too, no known fix for this fundamental design flaw with the HCG chassis, the LCG chassis is far less prone to bending shock shafts

Click the image to open in full size.
That's odd, I used to bend stock Ultra shocks on my Emaxxes quite often but those were 12 lb. trucks and used 100wt. shock oil so it was no wonder why they would bend. I have never had an issue with the shocks on lighter vehicles bending like that. I always thought that the lighter oil used in the Slash was one of the factors that helped keep the Ultra's together, coupled with their considerably lighter weight. How hard of a crash did it take to bend them like that?
Old 05-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #9

Smile Re: Slash 2wd parts problems

That's not my photo. I've bent one shock in an HPI rock crawler.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
Addict

Yeah, I was actually asking N4S what caused the damage.

Ken, have you actually broken any parts on your slash yet? Is there a particular part that you are worried about breaking? This might help us understand what you are looking for.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:19 PM   #11

I haven't broken anything yet to my surprise. Actually I'm upgrading a new 2wd Slash. I have installed lcg chassis and Traxxas brushless motor w/esc. Now I want to start upgrading to alum parts. This isn't for racing, just something I want to do. I would like to start with the weakest parts first and go from there. Hope you understand.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #12
Addict

I gotcha. Upgrading to aluminum in some key areas can help, but be cautious of using it everywhere. It will add weight and once bent it stays bent and can break other parts in the process. In a wreck the aluminum parts will transfer the force into other areas of the chassis whereas plastic will give and return to its prior shape. Aluminum arms are a great example here. A crash that would cause a stock plastic arm to bend and flex will cause an aluminum arm to send that force into the bulkhead and incur damage there. The caster blocks and steering knuckles are a great upgrade to a stock slash as well as rear hubs. On my trucks I use a lot of RPM plastics and the aluminum casters and knuckles and have had no issues with durability.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #13

Thanks for the help. Sounds reasonable what you said.
elmoracer likes this.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken webb View Post
What parts do you use?
Traxxas 1664T front shafts, 2656T rear shafts
Old 05-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #15
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoracer View Post
I gotcha. Upgrading to aluminum in some key areas can help, but be cautious of using it everywhere. It will add weight and once bent it stays bent and can break other parts in the process. In a wreck the aluminum parts will transfer the force into other areas of the chassis whereas plastic will give and return to its prior shape. Aluminum arms are a great example here. A crash that would cause a stock plastic arm to bend and flex will cause an aluminum arm to send that force into the bulkhead and incur damage there. The caster blocks and steering knuckles are a great upgrade to a stock slash as well as rear hubs. On my trucks I use a lot of RPM plastics and the aluminum casters and knuckles and have had no issues with durability.
Agreed. But I've actually had good luck with the RPM bearing carriers. Aluminum c-blocks are a must though. The Proline Protrac kit is a good package for the money also. Stronger shock towers, arms and rear bearing carriers, plus turnbuckles and a set of Losi offset wheels to mount race tires on. Only breakage in 3 years was one turnbuckle, and a rear tower after being run over by a truggy in open practice
elmoracer likes this.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #16
Addict

I really like the RPM carriers that I have on a few of my trucks and have yet to have any problems with them. I use alloy knuckles on my 4x4's (I got a good deal on a combo kit with caster blocks, steering knuckles and rear hubs) and have had problems with those either, so I can say that they are both viable options.

I would love to try the ProTrac kit on my LCG 2wd chassis someday. I used their Performance Suspension Kit on my T-Maxx back in the early 2000's when Maxx racing was still popular and it was a night and day difference in both performance and durability. I have seen other trucks running the ProTrac kit and it is impressive how much better they handle.

Slash 2wd parts problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F/S Slash 4x4 and 2wd Parts rcchamp For Sale 0 01-29-2014 09:34 PM
aluminum parts for a slash 2wd omerlamborghini Newbie ShortCourse 3 12-02-2012 04:40 PM
Slash 2wd trans problems. plz help 81f150 Newbie ShortCourse 10 11-28-2011 09:23 PM
2wd Slash parts tjmazz13 For Sale 0 11-26-2011 10:02 AM
Slash 2wd Parts Bundle, XL-5 Titan 12t, Stock Slash tires! valentin For Sale 0 08-23-2011 08:22 PM