Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Losi TEN-SCTE

Notices

Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Matt's TEN-SCTE 2.0!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Support RCSC, buy a Star!

Default Matt's TEN-SCTE 2.0!!!!!!!!!

What a nice way to enjoy a snowy Wisconsin Tuesday night ..........

Click the image to open in full size.

The truck is loaded with the good stuff ie HD outdrives, all the shock parts, Ti hingepins, aluminum clamping hexes, new carbon towers, Racing springs, and serrated wheel nuts. There are still a few things I added to the build.....

In the small bag there are the aluminum 5/40 nuts, this was the best of 5 pictures.
*Not a complete screw kit for the 2.0*

Let the build begin!!

I did use the TLR srvo saver tube in this build, had an extra so why not. Bag A starts with the steering rack assembly. I run my servo saver locked to get the best steering response. I snapped a picture to show where I glued it.

You dont need to use much (I applied it with the tip of the E-xacto) just a little on each side, then I tighten the nut as far as it will go. When installing the rack to the chassis I put the bearings on the steering posts, then put the assembled rack on to the bearings, then intall the top bearings. Here's what you have when you are done...

Bag B is a big one, the whole front clip on the truck....

First task here is the diff (I used 5K). When applying black grease to the outdrives you don't need to use that much. I put a dab on the groove and work it down the length of the shaft. The updated TLR HD cases make the internals fall together with a perfect mesh. I build my diffs like the how to video out there. I add fluid, rotate the gear 180 degrees to let the bubbles get out, then fill up to the planetary gear. Then drop in the last gear. Then I will wipe off any excess with my finger a few times so there is the perfect amout of fluid. Before you add the seal to the top of the diff wipe the top of the case dry to get the best seal.
It's important to get the screws started straight in the case so they don't get really tight. I use the Dynamite 1/16 driver and it works very well for the diff srcews.

When installing the diff in the case I put all the black grease on the pinion gear or it's all over you and everything else. I also install the center driveshaft now. Push the pinion in and driveshaft in so there in no play there.

When installing the hingepins in the arms be sure to spray them off with motor spray first. They have a sticky oil on them that you want to clean off. I don't use threadlock on the clamping wheel nut screws, just be sure to get then good and tight.

I will leave the screws that hold the hingepin holders a little loose too so the arms can stay nice and free. Also be sure there is no flashing on the inserts themselves or they wojn't fit in the carriers correctly. If you just tighten then all the way down the arms may bind.

Be sure all the tierods face the same direction before you pop the HD pivot balls in the ends. Saves time later.

When attaching the front clip to the chassis loosen the screws that hold the servo saver top plate, makes it easier to get the spacer in there. That wraps up bag B and looks like this...

That's good for a first post, up next in Bag C is the center diff assembly......

Last edited by Matt Sunderlage; 03-08-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Matt Sunderlage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Default Re: Matt's TEN-SCTE 2.0!!!!!!!!!

Before bag C here's a front shot of the completed clip...

I like the TLR center diff cap that acts as a wire router/holder, nice little touch. Assemble the diff just like the front one (used 5K) just be sure to put the shim on the correct side of the diff. Nice quick easy bag.

Bag D is the next big one, the whole rear clip assembly...

One more time you start with the diff, same steps as before, another perfect diff. I used the aluminum gearbox inserts makes for a perfect ring/pinion gear alignment. I used two shims on each side of the diff. Again I put all the black grease on the pinion gear and install the center CVD before the case goes together.

As before I spray off the hinge pins wih motor spray to get them clean. When assembling the rear hingepin holders same steps as before trim any flashing and be sure the rear arms are free.

I did trim the rear bumper, you need one in this class.

When installing the rear torque rod one little mod I do is removing some material on the rear diff case to make the aluminum locknut fit, it was a little snug to get in there.

Now we are getting close to a new Pro-4 rig!!!

Shocks up next!!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #3

Next on the list is Bag E and F...

Shocks first....

When attaching the pistons to the shafts it's important that the pistons are seated right. Tighten the nut up to just snug and "spin" the piston. This ensures it's seated correctly. Then snug up the nut a little more. (you should be able to turn the piston by hand) The TLR shock shaft pliers area great tool to have right now. I run the pistons with the number facing up too. Instead of the included steel nut I used a aluminum mini 4-40...

I use the Losi shock grease on the orings to be sure not to damage them, it works great. I really like they include the Hard anodized shock balls as well, nice little touch.
The bleeder caps make it very easy to get a perfect shock. First fill the shock with fluid, move the piston up and down and let all of the air get out. Then top up right to the top of the body, place the seal on the top of the body and tighten down the cap (the shaft should be fully extended at this point). Next tilt the shock at a 45 degree angle and slowly push the shaft in letting the excess oil bleed out of the cap until the shaft is completely in the body. Screw in the screw and wipe the shock off. Pump up the shock, install your spring and retainer and your shock is ready to go.

After the shocks are on time to move to Bag F. When installing the sideguards to the chassis there is a left and right, if your motor is in right now you'll see. They are only different at the inside of the top, not how the fit with the bottom of the chassis.

I went with the Losi aluminum servo horn for this build, makes for rock solid steering. I also used the middle position for the battery. Those have to be the best (largest) thumb screws I've ever used too. Now your truck is a roller ready for electronics....

Just got my new 6000 65C Thunderpower packs. They are an awesome battery for this rig!!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #4

I had to get some wire for my ESC so I finished the electronics install at the track yesterday. With the ESC moving forward and the motor moving back the wires got a little longer.

The ring on top of the center diff gives a tidy place for the wires to go. A "long" sensor wire made the trip back to the motor with no problem. There is alot of freed up space at the front of the truck so I tucked the transponder under the front center diff coupling, as well as having plently of room to run wires on the chassis, nice.

As far as setup the kit setup is right were I run mine so it's stock. The front spring is softer than what I used on my 1.0, but this truck has a slightly different shock angle and less weight at the front so it felt good to me.

Here it is ready to hit the track....

...note how far the collars are up on the shocks...I had to raise the truck almost 1mm per run as the spring broke in, just be sure to check that when you go through the first few packs.

After the first battery all I can say is WOW!!!

I has a good idea how the truck was going to drive, but it exceeded my expectations. By the 10th lap or so I had done a better than than the last 4 weeks with my 1.0 (16.8)...really. The truck felt amazing, with the traffic on the track it was hard to get consecutive good laps, but it was getting through parts of the track so fast it pretty much blew me away...this is one fast truck!!!

I only got 3 batteries in, but I get to race tomorrow. I can't wait!!!
is2scooby likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Moe
Racer

Nice! looking good. I'm glad to here that there is a noticeable difference in handling! not that I'm complaining about the 1.0, because I love how mine drives.
good luck to you at your first race, be sure to report back.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Addict

Looks good, I'm thinking of getting one. Just havent fully made up my mind. Need something to join the 4wd class (rookie racer) since trying to race my exo just wasn't cutting it.

Last edited by Kausekaos; 03-09-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Kausekaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Nice! looking good. I'm glad to here that there is a noticeable difference in handling! not that I'm complaining about the 1.0, because I love how mine drives.
good luck to you at your first race, be sure to report back.
Thanks. It's a great improvement to an awesome truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kausekaos View Post
Looks good, I'm thinking of getting one. Just havent fully made up my mind. Need something to join the 4wd class (rookie racer) since trying to race my exo just wasn't cutting it.
It's a solid contender in the 4x4 class and very durable. I've raced one for two years now and have yet to break a part.

So I got to race my SCTE 2.0 last night for the first time.

Over the last few weeks I've been getting closer to an 18 lap run on the current layout with my 1.0. My best was two weeks ago when I ran 17 5:00. First qualifier I ran 18 laps with a few mistakes.
Got down to another 16.8 (16.834) that was faster than the first battery the other day, but never got a clean enough run to get 18 again in qualifiying.

One thing was for sure, every run the truck got faster and faster as everything broke in.
I never got a chance to mount up a new set of tires for this rig, but if it drives this good with worn tires and mushy inserts, I can't wait to get a new set on.

I got my new Thunderpower batteries (6000 65C) and they performed awesome, so much power, I ran one for 15 minutes in practice the other day.

Coupled with the chassis changes this truck shot out of the berm like a rocket. The SCTE has always been awesome getting on to the straightaway, but this truck does it even better.
The 2.0 also jumps and lands better by moving the weight back it keeps the front of the truck from hitting the bottom of the front of the chassis. Really helps on the "big jump".

As far as what to change, right now, nothing!!! Like I said, the kit setup is really close to what I ran on my 1.0 so I love the way it drives. Might change the front spring and go thicker on oil, but we'll see.

I can't wait to get it back on the track with some new tires, about 9 batteries through it and I'm in love!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Addict

Closely following. Just cant seem to make up my mind. Won't say the other one I'm considering here cause it would just be disrespectful lol.
Kausekaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Addict

I ran mine through a few packs this weekend. Needs some tweaking but I can tell it is going to be a monster!
CarolinaShortCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #10

Matt, great to hear that you're having such luck. Thanks for detailing your build and experiences as always.

Question - do you notice that there is any less on-power steering with the SCTE 2.0? One of my concerns with the MIP SCTE has been the rear weight bias potentially being the cause of somewhat lackluster on power steering. Does the SCTE 2.0 suffer from the same?
is2scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kausekaos View Post
Closely following. Just cant seem to make up my mind. Won't say the other one I'm considering here cause it would just be disrespectful lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaShortCourse View Post
I ran mine through a few packs this weekend. Needs some tweaking but I can tell it is going to be a monster!
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by is2scooby View Post
Matt, great to hear that you're having such luck. Thanks for detailing your build and experiences as always.

Question - do you notice that there is any less on-power steering with the SCTE 2.0? One of my concerns with the MIP SCTE has been the rear weight bias potentially being the cause of somewhat lackluster on power steering. Does the SCTE 2.0 suffer from the same?
No problem.

I didn't notice a lack of on power steering at all. If anything it has more useable onpower steering.

The 2.0 just gets through the corner faster...it's also lighter than my 1.0. I'll have to find my scale....

I'll have new tires of for some practice on Thursday.....just can't wait to drive this rig again!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #12

Just ran my 2.0 for the first time tonight, wow what an awesome truck! Right out of the box with no tuning ran a17.7 lap in traffic. Once I can figure out the slight on power push in the sweeper this thing is going to be a rocket. Love the way it jumps the 5 pack and how it hooks up out of the berm down the straight away. Can't wait to race Friday, its going to be a blast!
1toncj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Basher

I get mine today or tomorrow, I just dialed in my 1.0. I'm turning 24.6 fast laps, quicker than I get in my 8ight and just as fast as the other 8ights, reading this is making me giddy

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Roadkill1260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toncj7 View Post
Just ran my 2.0 for the first time tonight, wow what an awesome truck! Right out of the box with no tuning ran a17.7 lap in traffic. Once I can figure out the slight on power push in the sweeper this thing is going to be a rocket. Love the way it jumps the 5 pack and how it hooks up out of the berm down the straight away. Can't wait to race Friday, its going to be a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill1260 View Post
I get mine today or tomorrow, I just dialed in my 1.0. I'm turning 24.6 fast laps, quicker than I get in my 8ight and just as fast as the other 8ights, reading this is making me giddy

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
It's a great truck I love driving mine.

I have the rest of my hopups now for my outside rig build.

Didn't get on the track today, but I did get my tires. Also lined up a painter for my body for the Showdown.

Can't wait for that race.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
Addict

So you haven't raced it yet?
PLATGOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Basher

Matt, what motor are you running in the 2.0?
Garricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #17

Matt do you know the part numbers for the 5-40 aluminum nuts and 4-40 aluminum mini nuts?

Also I forgot to ask are the turnbuckles the same as on the 1.0?
kookey1 likes this.

Last edited by Matt Sunderlage; 03-18-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Gas Rat Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATGOF View Post
So you haven't raced it yet?
Oh no, I got to race it 2 Saturdays ago, and I'll race this Saturday too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garricker View Post
Matt, what motor are you running in the 2.0?
I'm using a Thunderpower 5.0 550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Rat Racin View Post
Matt do you know the part numbers for the 5-40 aluminum nuts and 4-40 aluminum mini nuts?

Also I forgot to ask are the turnbuckles the same as on the 1.0?
Yup, LOSA6306 is the mini 440 number. The number for the 540 locknuts is TLR6311.

I got a few batteries in tonight getting the new tires ready, also going to try out Barcodes in Blue flavor on Thursday.

Going to give the truck a good once over to be sure everything is still free. I'll probably have to shim the rear arms a little.

...also need to get a body painted for this rig
Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #19

I'm liking the yellow wheels....

Can't wait to get some practice tomorrow....
Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
Addict

Matt Have you had any experience with the Bypass1 pistons. I just put a set in my SCTE. Running 35wt front and 30wt rear seems super soft with black Losi racing springs up front and silver in the rears. Any suggestions on oil or springs
brushlessguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Matt's TEN-SCTE 2.0!!!!!!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matt's TEN-SCTE!!!!!!!! Matt Sunderlage Losi TEN-SCTE 611 03-10-2013 11:55 AM
Matt's Modded 5.85lb RTR SCTE mattnin Losi TEN-SCTE 50 11-11-2012 08:06 AM
Hardened diff pins for TEN-T, 810, TEN-SCTE. ChrisAttebery Losi TEN-SCTE 146 09-05-2012 09:35 AM
Ten-scte Saydee1800 Wanted 0 08-11-2012 04:49 PM
New Ten SCTE truckeeRC Losi TEN-SCTE 8 03-30-2012 01:44 AM