Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Losi TEN-SCTE

Notices

Loading

Thread: Noisy Diff.. What Grease do you use for diff spur gears?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Default Noisy Diff.. What Grease do you use for diff spur gears?

Im trying to find a good "grease/ Lubrication" for my Pinion diff gears ( the big ones inside the diff case ) , what are you guys using or any suggestions?
wfoster34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: dayton, ohio
Posts: 455
Default

Are you talking about the diff gears or the ring and pinion gears?

Diff gears in mine are drowned in losi silicone diff oil 5k in front, 7k middle, 3k rear.

Ring and pinion is floating in losi high pressure black grease.

I get comments on how quite my scte is all the time buy then again I'm running a sc4x motor. Hope this helps.
S14juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Default

yes.. the ring and pinion gear is what im refering to.. I was told to use high temp auto bearing grease. which i think will work, i had not used the losi high pressure stuff because i wasnt sure it would hold up... you say floating, how much do you use? because eveything i try is flung off to the inside of the case and the gears end up dry and noisy? maybe im not using enough
wfoster34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: oshkosh wi
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoster34 View Post
yes.. the ring and pinion gear is what im refering to.. I was told to use high temp auto bearing grease. which i think will work, i had not used the losi high pressure stuff because i wasnt sure it would hold up... you say floating, how much do you use? because eveything i try is flung off to the inside of the case and the gears end up dry and noisy? maybe im not using enough
i use the mobil 1 grease. works good so far, lubs and keeps my gear drive quite.
jwemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 376
Default

Go to a bike shop and get some Pedros, Park, grease.
larlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: dayton, ohio
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoster34 View Post
yes.. the ring and pinion gear is what im refering to.. I was told to use high temp auto bearing grease. which i think will work, i had not used the losi high pressure stuff because i wasnt sure it would hold up... you say floating, how much do you use? because eveything i try is flung off to the inside of the case and the gears end up dry and noisy? maybe im not using enough
Sorry floating was probably not the right word to use. I usually put enough grease to cover both gears to where you can't see metal anymore. An awesome grease to use if you can find it in a tub or tube is white lithium grease the best grease in my opinion stays thick can handle high temps and makes gears silky smooth and dont be shy when applying it to the ring and pinion good sir.
S14juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Basher
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Castle Rock, WA
Posts: 93
Default

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...d=275&loc=show

In love with this stuff use it on everything from rc to wife and I rigs too the kids bicycles.. Anything with wheels the Lucas green grease/xtra heavy is awesome too!

Sent from my EVO3d using Tapatalk

Last edited by cwilkinson; 09-18-2011 at 05:48 PM.
cwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: dayton, ohio
Posts: 455
Default

That g3 grease looks promising what's it cost a tube?
S14juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
Basher
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Castle Rock, WA
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14juggalo View Post
That g3 grease looks promising what's it cost a tube?
I think I gave just under 10 for it at a local automotive shop

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
cwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Racer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the Sunderlage compound in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Runnin Losi's since 1990
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoster34 View Post
because eveything i try is flung off to the inside of the case and the gears end up dry and noisy? maybe im not using enough
This is why lubing these gears with anything besides the amount thats in there from the factory is pointless. Nothing will stay on those gears at the speeds they reach. And filling the whole case ads WAY to much drag.

Its 4-wheel drive and therefore should be louder than a 2wd. At least its quieter than a pos Hyper

.02
trigger man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14juggalo View Post
Sorry floating was probably not the right word to use. I usually put enough grease to cover both gears to where you can't see metal anymore. An awesome grease to use if you can find it in a tub or tube is white lithium grease the best grease in my opinion stays thick can handle high temps and makes gears silky smooth and dont be shy when applying it to the ring and pinion good sir.

A really stupid question but if you are using 5k oil then you dont need grease correct??
Rbob2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GP Oregon
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbob2269 View Post
A really stupid question but if you are using 5k oil then you dont need grease correct??
Correct,diff oil goes inside the diff and grease goes on the ring/pinion gears
Speed_Nut84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Saginaw, MI.
Posts: 111
Default

I use one of these.

GEAR SCIENCE RC GEAR GEL * the best RC grease available - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board

or

Coming soon from team3six ROCKLÜBE - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GP Oregon
Posts: 314
Default

Gorilla snawt kicks ass too.
Speed_Nut84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2007 RCShortcourse.com