Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > HPI Blitz

Notices

Thread: Blitz tires on carpet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Addict

Default Blitz tires on carpet

been running stock maxxis blitz tires on my truck on carpet track. off road carpet track racing has been fun but i must say the tires don't hook up well. don't have $$$ to thrown down for different tires right now so was wondering if anyone had any mods or suggestions to improve my tire grip on the carpet. not exact sure of carpet type but its grey and really thin carpet.
any help would be appreciated.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Basher

I have one Blitz setup for carpet oval with Mamba Max Pro 5700kv combo running the stock tires. Get yourself some Paragon and put it on the tires about 30 minutes before running it. Makes a huge difference! Mine hook up awesome using it.
tmaxx26power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Addict

do i need to reapply it before each heat or what. never used traction compound and am new to carpet racing
Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Basher

just put it on and wait 30 min before you race and it will help but you need to save up for tires if you plan on being competive. I use it every other heat or main depending on the track
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Basher

put it on before every heat and main. I don't see a need to buy new tires to be competitve as we have ran 6 race dates and I have TQd 5 times and won 4 mains running the stock Blitz tires with Paragon. I'm leading the points as we speak. Getting your truck setup correctly is the key!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Basher

We run on the back side of carpet and my stock tires hook up great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g1y819UAyU

Last edited by Bring it on; 02-01-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Bring it on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #7

Check with the track, some tracks(like mine) outlawed the wintergreen-scented compounds and only allow odor-free stuff. I use Jack the Gripper "Sticky Fingers" on my switches and they hook up much better. Just give the back tires a light, even coating and only do the inside half of each front tire. This helps keep the truck from traction-rolling.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #8

The track where I race does not allow any tire additives on the SC Trucks. I have found that taking an x-acto knife and scraping the built up crud off the tires works great. Basically pretend that you are scraping burnt toast, don't try to cut it off. It is a little time consuming, I have tried sand paper, and a dremel with a sanding drum, but both seem to plug up very quickly. I have notices after several weeks of racing that the gunk is building up less and less, I am not sure if it's because the road cars have not been running laying down new stuff, or if with use the tires wear off the mold release and that is what makes the stuff stick to the tires. And this is with the stock Maxxis tires.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Addict

so I won't be able to get any compound here before friday's race night so gonna try out a few things. for one I changed my gearing up a bit and put the 83spur and 22pinion on truck. took an exacto to the tires last night and did some tire siping on the lugs all around. and lastly got some simple green cleaner to try out on cleaning tires. never cleaned tires except for dirt racing in the past. was talking to a few guys at track friday and they suggested washing tires/simple green or mild soap water. also they use a sanding block to rough up tires and take off "glaze" from carpet friction on tires. tires have been only run inside on carpet track as it's winter here so they aren't dirt dirty but we will see what these things gain me. thanks everyone.
one last question. when you clean tires with simple green do you try and get as much simple green off as you can as well as maybe light water rinse or just spray and wipe a little excess off and let simple green dry on tires.
thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Racer

i would try lighter fluid! thats what i clean my tires with works good!
cyoder#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
Basher

I use Dawn dish soap and old tooth brush. Works great!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
Racer

I clean the tires with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, spray it on a rag and wipe the tires clean after each race and reapply traction compound. If there is build up on the tires you'll have to scrub them. When this happens I take the tires off, place a folded shop rag on the table, spray the rag with brake clean hold and drag the tread face accross the rag while rotating at the same time.

A lot of places don't allow Paragon due to the smell. You'll find Jack the gripper, niftec and trinity stickey fingers work great.
infokiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #13

I have noticed over the years at my track that the build up gets worse in the winter. I think it has to do with the temperature of the carpet, the colder the carpet, the more the old compound transfers and sticks to the warmer tires.... I have seen guys scrub their tires with simple green, spin donuts on the cement floor, sand their tires with sanding blocks, dremels and even belt sanders. No one method seems to be any better than any other method, although I haven't personally tried the simple green. One racer has a small scrub brush with a liquid soad resevoir/dispenser in the handle that he loads with simple green. Seems to work pretty well. I don't know what he does afterwards, but I know he doesn't rinse them off, probably just wipes them off with a towel...
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
Basher

simple green works decent our track won't let us run tire dope. A lot of guys are using the strike tires as they are softer than the hpi tires.
badcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
simple green works decent our track won't let us run tire dope. A lot of guys are using the strike tires as they are softer than the hpi tires.
yeah the top dog in open sct is running strike tires too. has gotten me thinking
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Racer

WD40 makes great compound for rubber tires. Keeps them good and soft too! I used to use paragon til I switched to WD40. I can run 30+ minutes with little or no signs of traction fade like when using compound.
Ken448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #17
Addict

ken where you from in south east mich. I live in adrian!