Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > HPI Blitz

Notices

Thread: Prefered Tire for Hard Packed Clay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Racer

Default Prefered Tire for Hard Packed Clay

I've done some searching on a few people setup sheets and I see that the Proline Bowtie is a common tire used on a hard packed clay surface. Is this the best tire for the rear of a Mod SCT? I had only planned to change the rears and leave the fronts stock. Or is there a better tire out now?

Thanks,
MedlinRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
bew

i just raced on packed clay with M3 bowties front and rear. i run a flux with punch control set to 60% and it was on a very tight track and they wear great. heaps of grip and you couldn't even tell i'd used the tyres at the end so looks like they will wear well also. i got the ones pre mounted on the red beadlock rims. those and the stocko's are the only tyres i've run.
bew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedlinRacing View Post
I've done some searching on a few people setup sheets and I see that the Proline Bowtie is a common tire used on a hard packed clay surface. Is this the best tire for the rear of a Mod SCT? I had only planned to change the rears and leave the fronts stock. Or is there a better tire out now?

Thanks,

there is no one-size-fits-all anything, you have to find the tire that works best for you at your track
PepsiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #4

I tryed a set of bowties and i think the stock tires worked better,just WD40 the stock tires a few times and they work alot better..
Popsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Banned

I race on a hard packed indoor clay track and run pro-line calibers with great success. The bow ties on our surface tends to be a little to "slippy" for me. When they over water the track the J Concepts GooseBumps are good too.
outfrontframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Addict

The kit tires from the SC10 work very well on clay.
Jim Hustins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Racer

Thanks for th einfo guy. I've already "treated" the stock tires and I have plenty of grip running in the stock SCT class but I have not tried it in Mod trim yet. I was just trying to get an idea of what I should look towards. I figured that most tracks running a hard clay surface would run basically the same tire sort of like most tracks like this like the losi pink taper pin, panther switch, or the Jconcepts barcode for stadium trucks.

Last edited by MedlinRacing; 01-17-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
World Domination Tour!

Check out the JConcepts Goosebumps.
Dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for th einfo guy. I've already "treated" the stock tires and I have plenty of grip running in the stock SCT class but I have not tried it in Mod trim yet. I was just trying to get an idea of what I should look towards. I figured that most tracks running a hard clay surface would run basically the same tire sort of like most tracks like this like the losi pink taper pin, panther switch, or the Jconcepts barcode for stadium trucks.
the problem being that basic "clay" is not the same from one area of the country to another, huge variance north-to-south/east-to-west
Old 01-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Racer

This is very true.. The indoor track we run on has the best though. Red Georgia Clay..
Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #11
Racer

I guess I cant say for sure but we were told that this stuff was trucked in from GA during the original build of the track. CarolinasRC in charlotte. I wasnt driving the dump truck but I will say this is some nice stuff.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
I guess I cant say for sure but we were told that this stuff was trucked in from GA during the original build of the track. CarolinasRC in charlotte. I wasnt driving the dump truck but I will say this is some nice stuff.
but that's the deal, and if nobody's run at your home track then there's no way to say for sure.
like I said before, there is no one-size-fits-all anything so you have to find the tire that works best for you at your track
Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
Racer

Ok thanks for the help...
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #14

I've ran stock tires, bowties and the calibers, and plan to try to goose bumps soon. I raced indoor this weekend on a clay type indoor track. I started with stock tires in front and bowties on the rear. Truck seemed good with some push (typical on a blitz). I reversed the front tires around backward later and they seemed better. After that heat I tried bowtie M3 on the front and caliber M3 on the rear and couldn't tell much difference from the bowtie m3 rear/stock reversed fronts conbo I ran earlier. Early in the day before the track dried out from watering, I think the goose bumps would have been the best set-up on the rear with either the bowties or stock tires reversed on the front. They are all decent tires, so like mentioned before, you'll have to try a few different set-ups at your location and see what works best for you.
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
Racer

Thanks for the info Big Ed. Thats exactly the kind of information I was looking for instead of what I was getting from Pepsi Kid. I mean I realize that each track is going to be a little differant but with similar surfaces tires tend to react the same or very similar.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
Racer

I like goosebumps rear and bow ties front for the scale looks of them.
-WHEELMAN- is offline   Reply With Quote