Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > General ShortCourse

Notices

Thread: Shock mounting holes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Addict

Default Shock mounting holes

Can someone give me a basic rule of thumb for the mounting holes?? What do they do?
slash23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Addict

Default Re: Shock mounting holes

here's good link

RC Tuning ? Shock Mounting Positions | CompetitionX
xrayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Addict

Default Re: Shock mounting holes

Moving a shock farther out towards the wheel on the control arm tends to make it act stiffer. I like to think of suspension like a class 2 lever (like a wheelbarrow), with the inboard hingepin representing the fulcrum, the spring/shock as the resistance, and the wheel as the effort. The closer you move the resistance to the fulcrum, the less effort required to move the lever.

Moving either end of the shock (especially on the arm) inward will also increase your suspension travel and change the maximum bump and rebound points. That's why I use chains to limit downtravel on my trucks instead of internal shock limiters; if you use limiters to set downtravel & then move your shock, your suspension won't stop in the same place. With a chain going from the tower to the arm, no matter where I mount the shock it'll always stop right where I want it (just before the dogbone falls out of the differential outdrive ).

Not to mention it's STUPIDLY easy to limit my suspension compared to internal limiters. Draining and dismantling shocks vs. moving two screws on the shock tower, it's a no-brainer.

Click the image to open in full size.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Addict

Thanks that all helps a ton!
slash23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shock mounting holes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you put holes in your tires before mounting? RcFrank HPI Blitz 18 02-09-2013 06:26 PM
Front shock Mounting?? Screws keep bending. RickM Axial EXO Terra Buggy 8 10-31-2012 08:03 PM
Anyone drill new shock mounting positions in stock Slash? mojomandan Traxxas Slash 4 02-27-2011 02:30 PM
Pro-Line PowerStroke SC Universal Shock Mounting Kit flumpy Jammin SCRT-10 21 12-22-2010 11:37 AM
mounting holes beertender Paint and Body 3 01-27-2010 05:47 PM