Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > General ShortCourse

Notices

Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sharks HB D8 SC Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
Addict

Default Re: Sharks HB D8 SC Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by artlegault View Post
I did his aswell but to a different buggy and let me tell you it was on rails. Never flipped or as I like to say tossed off the track..
I was the only true out law in Sarasota FL.
Great build and hope you race this at your track..

I noticed that as well, a lot less flipping with my D8 SC truck. I am not the greatest racer in the world, but I am a decent driver and usually place in the upper half in the local Pro4 expert class, and I can see how much more stable the D8 SC is compared to the Losi MIP SCTE, SC10 4x4 and even the mighty Durango DESC410 (I own all three). The D8 SC (even with the narrowed width) is more stable than other trucks. When I first got into Pro4 I thought you needed to have the lightest truck out there, and I got several of my trucks in the 5 1/2 - 6 pound range RTR. They accelerated fast and could really fly and in the hands of a pro driver could really perform. But I (Joe club racer) found them to be a handful to control, twitchy, very sensitive to the smallest setup changes and most of all they were very fragile. I really like how my D8 SC handles and it has been bulletproof (I ran it as a 1/8 electric buggy for a year and have not replaced anything except a few bearings and one hinge pin). I can't wait for the new Tekno SCT410 (my D8 is a Tekno V4 kit and is very similar to the new Tekno SCT410 kit coming out).
Shark413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark413 View Post
Tdford, I checked out the Apache parts. It looks like the Apache is based on the HPI Vorza buggy. The Apache rear body mount looks like a direct bolt on but the front requires the Apache front shock tower (has extra mounting holes). I ordered a set of Apache front a-arms to see if they are shorter, it seems that they are because the width listed between the Apache and Vorza has about a 6mm differnce. So I think they used slightly shorter arms on the Apache to shorten the width, similar to what I did by drilling new hinge pin holes on my D8. Unfortunetly it looks like they use the same length drive shafts so that will limit how much you can narrow the width.
It might be narrower due to the chassis??? I believe the apache arms are the same size as the vorza/d8, they just went with the new monocoque style for even more durability.

Here is Badgers write up with some good pics:
Badger's HPI Apache SC Flux

Front shock tower looks different indeed. Looks like they made it to have more support for the body mounts. (apache owners reported that body mounts were weak and were the first to break) Aluminum parts need to come out it sounds like.

badgers apache
Click the image to open in full size.

vorza

Last edited by tdford; 11-30-2012 at 12:51 PM.
tdford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
Addict

Tdford, thanks for the Apache info and link. I checked Badgers build and I was trying to see how deep the dog bone plunge was in front. It is really hard to see but there is one picture that you can sort of see the front outdrive cup and the dog bone looks like it is in further than on a stock D8. The Apache uses the same lenght dog bone as the Vorza/D8 so more plunge on the Apache has to be either because the arms are shorter or as you mentioned a different chassis. Well like I said I have some Apache arms on the way and I will compare them to the D8 arms. Either way the D8 SC was a fun project just to hold me over until Tekno releases their SCT410.

Regarding the body mounts, I'll stick with my Losi SCTE mounts. Cheap, easy to mod to fit and pretty durable. I like my modded RPM front bumper because it does double duty as a skid plate, but I did order an Apache rear bumper, my modded Slash bumper sticks out a little too far (it actually protects the body better because it sticks out so far).

Last edited by Shark413; 11-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #24
Addict

Tdford, also did you noticed the non-adjustable camber links on the Apache. Wonder how you adjust camber and front toe?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Addict

Yes, the original pics of it that came had adjustable links and aluminum shocks. HPI cheaped out and went with plastic shock bodies and non-adjustable links... Like I said, I had a whole list of upgrades sitting ready, including new links, for when I picked one up.

In case you you were curious FS: D8 parts - ve8, vorza, apache - R/C Tech Forums
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #26

Your work and your threads are always top notch. Thanks for sharing!
is2scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #27
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by is2scooby View Post
Your work and your threads are always top notch. Thanks for sharing!
Scooby, the positive feedback keeps me going. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
Addict

I another full day of practice again this weekend. The Tekno D8 SC was on fire. I was turning pretty good lap times close to my best that I turned with my Losi MIP/SCTe and Durango. But I did a radio check and found my throttle at 100%, normally you would think this is max, but my radio actually goes to 150%. I cranked it up to 150% and it was fast, I mean really fast. I had a hard time putting the power down so I turned it back down to 135% which was still faster but totally controllable for me. I turned the fastest lap times (on the same track layout) as any of my main SC 4x4's (Durango, Losi and AE). I also made some adjustments to the brake bias (more front, less rear) and it helped for the track conditons that day (wet/moist), so nice to be able to adjust brake bias. Again it was a pleasure to not have to repair anything after an entire day at the track. I did notice the motor temps went up slightly when I went from 100% to 150% on the radio, still ok (went from 152 to 170 degrees after 12 mins) I just need to keep an eye on it and maybe set the throttle back a little more.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #29
Addict

The Apache parts showed up today, so I spent the early evening installing the rear bumper. It is not a straight bolt on, the lower bumper mount slides under the rear diff on the Apache and has a cut out in the rear suspension brace. The D8 does not have a cut out and the rear suspension brace has a bracket that fits in there. So I could have ordered a Apache brace but decided to just cut off the piece from the D8 brace. Once I cut the brace and did some minor modding the bumper bolted right up, the lower brace uses the two rear holes in the chassis and the upper brace uses the D8 wing holes. The Apache is a much better and stronger bumper than the modded Slash bumper I had on there before.

I also ordered the Apache a-arms to see if they were shorter than the D8 arms. I put them side-by-side and they were exactly the same size (outer to inner hinge pin holes).

Here are two D8 rear suspension brackets. The one on top has been modded to remove the part that interfered with the bumper.

Here is the stock un-modified rear suspension brace.

And here is the modded brace.

Here is the Apache bumper installed on my D8.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
Addict

Here is a better shot showing how I had to mod the rear suspension bracket. If someone is thinking about adding the Apache rear bumper to an D8 I would recommend purchasing the Apache rear bracket that already has the area cut out for bumper clearance. Modding the D8 bracket was a lot of work and I used special tools (mill). I just happened to have a spare that I could mod.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #31
Addict

So Shark is this your new pick of the litter. I just put together a SCTE. Pretty set up, I have a build thread if you want to take a look. However I am really liking the idea of 1/8 durability with 1/10 sc size. I can only imagine it handles just like an 1/8 buggy with a SC lid. If its anything like I imagine I may not be able to stop myself from this build. But I am trying to save for another 1/8 truggy too. So I am kinda torn. Is it worth owning?? Should I just be happy with my current rig and grab an 1/8 truggy?? I miss my RC8T-e and SC8-e but this is very tempting
brushlessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #32
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessguy View Post
So Shark is this your new pick of the litter. I just put together a SCTE. Pretty set up, I have a build thread if you want to take a look. However I am really liking the idea of 1/8 durability with 1/10 sc size. I can only imagine it handles just like an 1/8 buggy with a SC lid. If its anything like I imagine I may not be able to stop myself from this build. But I am trying to save for another 1/8 truggy too. So I am kinda torn. Is it worth owning?? Should I just be happy with my current rig and grab an 1/8 truggy?? I miss my RC8T-e and SC8-e but this is very tempting
I hear you. I was a huge 1/8 racer prior to SC. I had nitro 1/8's then went to electric 1/8's (both buggy and truggy). I had an brushless Kyosho ST-RR that was out of this world. But I started going to an indoor track to beat the SoCal heat and got hooked on SC. So I thinned out the 1/8's and only had a couple of buggies left that were just sitting and collecting dust. I had so much time and money invested in them I would never recoupe if I tried to sell them so they sat. Then I saw a guy running a Mugen converted to SC and I thought I could do that. I was getting so tired of breaking and rebuilding my 1/10 SC's that I thought a converted 1/8 would fit the bill, it would be fast and durable. When I ran my D8 buggy after a year I only broke one outer hinge pin. And because of the Apache I figured it would an easy conversion. When I go to the track I spend at least 3 or 4 hours practicing before the heats. I am not a naturally talented driver so I need to hone what little skills I have and tune my trucks to the max. So they get a lot of runtime and the 1/10's were just wearing out too fast. I am lucky that my local track allows converted 1/8's to run in the expert Pro4, but I do have my eye on the new Tekno SCT410 that is based on their 1/8 electric buggy.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #33
Addict

How is handling compared to your MIP SCTE??? I know its heavier but is it like driving 1/8 buggy with a SC ilid
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #34
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessguy View Post
How is handling compared to your MIP SCTE??? I know its heavier but is it like driving 1/8 buggy with a SC ilid
Yes it is very similar to an 1/8 buggy. It has a little more lift in the air because of the big SC body. But overall it handles well (does what you want it to do, with no surprises), is very stable (not twitchy or over sensitive), you can make a few mistakes and it won't punish you and most of all it is extremely durable. The power delivery is a bit different, in 1/8 buggy I was running a huge powerful 2200kv T8 motor on 4s. In this conversion I am running a Pro4 3300kv with a small 3s (4000mah) lipo. Many report that the Pro4 4600kv on 2s works as well, but I wanted more low end and cooler temps. It feels sort of like a Losi SCTE but with more stability as opposed to my Durango which is a little twitchy and takes a lot of concentration to drive well.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #35
Addict

I got out this weekend and raced my D8 SC 4x4. At this point I consider myself to be at the sportsman’s level mostly because I only get to practice 2 or 3 times a month and only race every other month or do. This weekend there were not enough sportsman’s so they put all the 4x4 in the expert Pro4 open class. I had no illusions of placing in the top 5 because of the caliber of racers in the class (6 out of the 9 were very fast experts). But the D8 was very impressive, and in the first heat I came in 4th (out of 9) and beat out several faster racers. This was mostly because of the stability of the D8 which prevented me from getting hammered in the first turn. I still got hammered but the D8 hung tough and I made it through the first turn in good shape (2nd). I drove a smooth and error free race and was able to hold off some of the faster guys and finished 4th. In the 2nd heat because of the reverse order I started 5th and I could not make up any time on the faster guys and finished 5th. In the main the two other sportsman drivers went home and left me to battle the experts. I started 5th and did ok for most of the main but the faster guys were just too good and eventually got by me, and I ended up in 6th place. It wasn't the D8 's fault, I have raced both my Durango DESC410 and Losi MIP SCTE at the same track and I liked the way the D8 handled, smooth, stable and super easy to drive which fit my driving style perfectly.

Highlight of the night I placed 4th (out of 9) in the first heat.

Last edited by Shark413; 12-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #36
Addict

Again the D8 came through an entire day of practice/racing without any breakage or maintenance. This is the fourth weekend of running the D8 with no issues (I did find that the setscrew on the rear center output cup was loose). I have to believe this is because of the over engineered 1/8 design. This is why I am excited about the Tekno SCT410 which uses a lot of their 1/8 buggy parts/design.

One interesting thing I noticed, sometimes I just go to the track and practice and I just go out and run, pack after pack. But when I race I noticed I did not want to run the truck as much because I was worried I would break something prior to racing. I did not realize this at first, but I noticed several of the fast guys either showed up early and did not run much or they showed up just before the races started. So they either did not need the practice/warm-up or were worried about breaking. What do you guys think about this?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #37
Addict

I have horrible luck. I have the same schedule as you unfortunately, practice maybe a few times a month with like one race day.

Anyways, if I get out and practice I can run through 10 packs with no problem. I show up before the race and during the 5 practice laps I get, something usually breaks. I think with 1/10 SC you just have to always be checking stuff because otherwise you get burned. With my 1/8 buggy, I throw a pack in and go and dont worry about much.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #38
Basher

I think your on to something with using a slightly heavier vehicle that is more durable and won't flip as often on outdoor tracks. With the higher mah batteries and better motors available I don't think the trucks will be lacking in power. What this means to the average club racer is more practice/race time and less time fixing things. This if course equates to more fun and may aid in the retention of racers.
SouthFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #39
Racer

Have you considered doing a 1/8 Sc with a d8t chassis? I'm thinking about giving it a go and would like some insight.
Cmace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmace23 View Post
Have you considered doing a 1/8 Sc with a d8t chassis? I'm thinking about giving it a go and would like some insight.

I believe the Truggy chassis is too long for SC

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/general-shortcourse/36127-sharks-hb-d8-sc-conversion.html
Posted By For Type Date
D812 - 38 - R / C Tech This thread Refback 01-19-2013 12:50 PM
Hot Bodies D812 - Page 38 - R/C Tech Forums This thread Refback 01-11-2013 08:24 AM

Sharks HB D8 SC Conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharks SC10 4x4 Shark413 Team Associated SC10 4x4 903 11-02-2014 08:32 AM
Sharks Slash 4x4 Shark413 Traxxas Slash 4X4 512 01-14-2014 06:51 PM
Sharks DESC410R Shark413 Team Durango DESC410R 540 08-14-2013 05:03 AM
Sharks SCTE - 810/Ten Conversion Shark413 Losi TEN-SCTE 60 05-19-2012 06:58 AM
Sharks SCRT10 Shark413 Jammin SCRT-10 303 10-07-2011 01:35 PM