Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > General ShortCourse

Notices

Thread: Losi 22SCT versus Team Durango DESC210R

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Racer

Default Losi 22SCT versus Team Durango DESC210R

Decided to dedicate a thread based on the release of two new SC trucks being released some time in August. My LHS is stocking parts for both. Both similar in concept. I primarily race indoor clay.

Any experience coming from the buggies they are modeled after?

What are the pros and cons for each?
Vincent_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Racer

Default Re: Losi 22SCT versus Team Durango DESC210R

They both look awesome to me. I am dying to see how the 210r looks on the track
RC_Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Racer

So both trucks offer RM or MM (Rear Motor and Mid Motor) configuration which is a huge innovation for SC trucks. Awesome. But the Durango takes it up a notch by offering 3 or 4 gear transmission setups in either RM or MM configurations.

To my understanding conventional 3 gear transmissions that we currently use offer less traction compared to these new 4 gear transmissions due to the wheels and spur gear spinning in the same direction. So instead of pulling wheelies under power you are essentially planting the truck down into the dirt? Is this correct?

What are the true benefits to the 4 gear setup? Or is this hype?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Diesel View Post
So both trucks offer RM or MM (Rear Motor and Mid Motor) configuration which is a huge innovation for SC trucks. Awesome. But the Durango takes it up a notch by offering 3 or 4 gear transmission setups in either RM or MM configurations.

To my understanding conventional 3 gear transmissions that we currently use offer less traction compared to these new 4 gear transmissions due to the wheels and spur gear spinning in the same direction. So instead of pulling wheelies under power you are essentially planting the truck down into the dirt? Is this correct?

What are the true benefits to the 4 gear setup? Or is this hype?
Ive also been sortof confused on the 3- vs 4-gear tranny. With all my 3-gear RCs, under accel the car seems to torque backwards, and the opposite under decel. I can see how this would make things unstable because as the car accelerates forward it is torquing backwards, and vice versa. The part I still dont understand is how the 4-gear system is preferable on very low traction surfaces.,.not that I doubt this notion, just I dont get why.

I was breezing around the Xfactory threads to see if I could find this answer but ive still come up short.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Racer

Hey RC_Tomato. I just found this. Scroll to the bottom where it talks about the gear and motor configurations. Pretty informative.

Tricks And Tips | Team Durango Blog
Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Addict

Rear motor 4 gear will pull wheelies more. The motor spins the same way as the tires so its more responsive to throttle inputs. Creates more traction but you have to run the slipper looser and you have more rotating parts (I run a dex210 and have tryed all 4 ways and on my track, rear 3 works the best). MM 4 works really good due to you get good traction for a mid motor buggie but the rear end was alittle to loose for my track. Honestly, all 4 motor positions will have the perpose. If my track was more well groomed, id run 4 gear mid motor. If it gets any worse, I'm gonna switch back to rear motor 4 gear.
The one good thing about losi is the removable mud flap holders, alum chassis, narrow chassis, great vented body, wider veriety of wheels (uses ten scte wheels), wheel dishes included, 2 sets of wheels. Losi is $50 more then the durango but, no one will know which is a better platform (what I mean is less issues when released) until atleast 6 months after they've been released.

The team durango does have a smoother steering rack, nice servo setup, great slipper setup.

Last edited by muddinscx; 07-31-2012 at 05:43 PM.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Racer

Thanks for the response Mudd. Very helpful.

If you had to choose. Which one would it be between the two and why?

Last edited by Vincent_Diesel; 07-31-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Diesel View Post
Thanks for the response Mudd. Very helpful.

If you had to choose. Which one would it be between the two and why?
Not a problem. I've got $400 aside for my next sct and I between a losi ten scte or 2wd sct tlr 22sct or desc210r lol so I've been doin a lot of research on the 2. I do love how my dex210 but the parts are so stiff it makes them brittle (which isn't good when you are practicing with kids, inexperianced people and heavy rigs lol). I don't know how the losi plastics are gonna be. but for $270 I can get a losi scte roller (rtr for $480) so I'm toren on what I should get lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Racer

I own a TEN SCTE, had a XXX SCT and have never broken anything except for a bent SCTE chassis and rear shock tower. They are quite strong and plastics are high quality. I've heard that Durangos are brittle which is something to consider.

I've witnessed a DESC410R on the track and noticed how amazing it performed. All drivers were A-main caliber so I knew talent wise they were all pretty even but the Durango just seemed so smooth and balanced.

That being said I'm ready to try the Durango even though Losi is a force to be reckoned with. Losi has great parts availability, great online support, a strong community and awesome products. Durango on the other hand may lack some of those things but feel they aren't afraid to be on the edge of innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
Not a problem. I've got $400 aside for my next sct and I between a losi ten scte or 2wd sct tlr 22sct or desc210r lol so I've been doin a lot of research on the 2. I do love how my dex210 but the parts are so stiff it makes them brittle (which isn't good when you are practicing with kids, inexperianced people and heavy rigs lol). I don't know how the losi plastics are gonna be. but for $270 I can get a losi scte roller (rtr for $480) so I'm toren on what I should get lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Racer

My biggest concern with the rangos is parts support....if their stuff were easily accessible it is all I would run.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Addict

I know losi plastics are more forgiving. Their aluminum isn't the best with the scte which concerns me with the skinnier, just as long 22sct. Hopefully its stronger. I own a team durango dex210 and its amazing but the plastic is so stiff, if you have a hard inpack it may break and not flex. Parts support isn't that bad anymore since hobbico bought them out. Tower hobbies, rpp hobby, stormer hobbies ect... Carries all parts for em. Losi doesn't have the best parts support such as team associated, traxxas or hpi. Losi has about the same parts support a team durango and durango is "new" to the state.s. All that aside, team durango is on top right now. If they had more USA drivers, I think they would take off more and be seen more in the states. They are late to the 2wd sct which doesn't help but they are comming out with it being to notch.

The best thing to do is sit and wait for them to both be released and see the pros and cons. The bigget part I don't like of the 22 sct is the slide rack. It had problems with the 22 and I thing with a heavier and bigger tired rig it may have problems, especialy with a dusty/dirt track.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Tomato View Post
My biggest concern with the rangos is parts support....if their stuff were easily accessible it is all I would run.
Any lhs that has a Great Planes account (what lhs doesn't) can easliy order parts. Parts are more readily avail now than ever sinceHobbico purchased them.. Before I got picked up I was able to get parts through my local shop next day...granted the distributor was only a state away, but you get the idea. If you don't have a lhs...hit up Tower Hobbies, Amain, Stormer, etc.
kwiksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
I know losi plastics are more forgiving. Their aluminum isn't the best with the scte which concerns me with the skinnier, just as long 22sct. Hopefully its stronger. I own a team durango dex210 and its amazing but the plastic is so stiff, if you have a hard inpack it may break and not flex. Parts support isn't that bad anymore since hobbico bought them out. Tower hobbies, rpp hobby, stormer hobbies ect... Carries all parts for em. Losi doesn't have the best parts support such as team associated, traxxas or hpi. Losi has about the same parts support a team durango and durango is "new" to the state.s. All that aside, team durango is on top right now. If they had more USA drivers, I think they would take off more and be seen more in the states. They are late to the 2wd sct which doesn't help but they are comming out with it being to notch.

The best thing to do is sit and wait for them to both be released and see the pros and cons. The bigget part I don't like of the 22 sct is the slide rack. It had problems with the 22 and I thing with a heavier and bigger tired rig it may have problems, especialy with a dusty/dirt track.
I don't think the aluminum chassis is going to be much of an issue. The scte chassis does bend but that truck is much, much heavier and tends to hit things going a lot faster than the 22sct would.
MX304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Addict

keep in mind too that there are two types of losi, the racing side and the rtr side. the TLR side should have better quality.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi 22SCT versus Team Durango DESC210R - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Durango DEST210R/DESC210R Gastão Franco Team Durango DESC410R 10 09-09-2012 02:40 PM
My TEAM DURANGO DESC410R Gastão Franco Team Durango DESC410R 12 06-05-2012 03:48 PM
Team Durango Desc410r KingSlash Wanted 0 05-25-2012 11:47 PM
Team Durango DESC410R vs AE vs Losi Toast Newbie ShortCourse 9 04-11-2012 10:13 AM
Team Durango SC 4x4 PanicRev Jammin SCRT-10 5 11-19-2010 09:13 AM