Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo Storage Mode

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Addict

Default Lipo Storage Mode

What is the best and/or most effective way to store a lipo battery? How long can/should lipos remain fully charged. I try to run my Blitz every day but I work and have a family and things get in the way. I have a Venom Pro Charger and the discharge rate is only 1 amp so storage takes a ridiculously long time to complete. Any ideas, short of replacing my charger?
tibbar110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Addict

Default Re: Lipo Storage Mode

I don't like to leave mine fully charged for more than a day or two.

There is no magic number for a storage charge. Somewhere near the middle of charged and discharged is fine.

If plans fall through and I can't race but my packs are charged, I'll toss 'em in a rig and bomb it around the yard for a while to take some juice out.

The only time I use the storage charge mode is after a race night and all my packs are dead, and I don't plan to run them again for a few days. They'll get balance charged to roughly 50% of capacity, then tossed into a lipo bag until I need them again.
duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duuuuuuuude View Post
I don't like to leave mine fully charged for more than a day or two.

There is no magic number for a storage charge. Somewhere near the middle of charged and discharged is fine.

If plans fall through and I can't race but my packs are charged, I'll toss 'em in a rig and bomb it around the yard for a while to take some juice out.

The only time I use the storage charge mode is after a race night and all my packs are dead, and I don't plan to run them again for a few days. They'll get balance charged to roughly 50% of capacity, then tossed into a lipo bag until I need them again.
It's like I was reading my own post lol! I pretty much do the same thing and did it today. I didn't make to the track today and a pack that needed to be stored, so I went and ran the truck for 15 mins. to drain some juice. Then after letting the pack rest a bit - cool off, I hit the storage mode and bagged it.

One of the packs did go 4 days fully charged.
xrayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Addict

It's a bad idea to leave a fully charged lipo sit for long periods of time; long time meaning more than a week. However, they can sit at a low charge (after hitting lvc) for a very long time with no ill effects; say if you ran the pack down to lvc and didn't have a chance to get it back on the charger for a period of time.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
It's a bad idea to leave a fully charged lipo sit for long periods of time; long time meaning more than a week. However, they can sit at a low charge (after hitting lvc) for a very long time with no ill effects; say if you ran the pack down to lvc and didn't have a chance to get it back on the charger for a period of time.

I lost 2 good racing packs because I ran them down to lipo cut-off and did not charge them right away. You need to put at least 15 to 30 minutes back into them ASAP.
bobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Addict

Thanks for the insight. I have been advised by my local hobby shop that anywhere between full and lvc is a good point. Storage mode is not necessarily a mandatory thing.

I'm still interested in other perspectives though.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Addict

I dont have a storage charge so when i charge my batteries i run them down to lvc or right about 3.8v per cell (for 2s) someone told me their charger put them at 3.8 for storage so ive stuck to that since
slash23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt View Post
I lost 2 good racing packs because I ran them down to lipo cut-off and did not charge them right away. You need to put at least 15 to 30 minutes back into them ASAP.
Really? I know someone that had a lipo sit for almost a year at 6.4v and the battery came right back after charging. That sucks losing those packs.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Basher

Ive ben harsh on all my lipos (leaving at lvc for months and full for weeks and everything else bad and never had problems.. except my venom breaking on the 2nd charge

my integy has ben around for two years after countless runs bein left in freezing weather

but, thats me i spose ive seen really good batterys go to crap right away n ivr seen cheap ( gforce lipos) outperform expensiveand expensive ones last
cantthinkofanewname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Addict

These are the guide lines that I live by:

Never leave a lipo fully charged for more than a day.
Never over charge past 4.2v per cell
Never discharge lower than 3.2v per cell
Never short the wires while soldering on a connector
Never use a puffed lipo
Always balance charge
Never use a charge rate higher than the manufacturer suggest. I only charge at 1c
Place your lipo in a storage state after you are done by discharging to 3.85v per cell
Never charge your lipo unattended
Never charge your lipo inside your house with out a lipo sack

Now some may have "luck" by not following these rules, but please don't pit next to me.
Jim Hustins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash23 View Post
I dont have a storage charge so when i charge my batteries i run them down to lvc or right about 3.8v per cell (for 2s) someone told me their charger put them at 3.8 for storage so ive stuck to that since
I can set my lvc to 3.8 and be golden. Thanks! My charger stores at 7.6 volts anyway.

What does the storage mode do anyway? How does it work?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar110 View Post
I can set my lvc to 3.8 and be golden. Thanks! My charger stores at 7.6 volts anyway.

What does the storage mode do anyway? How does it work?
At 3.85v per cell, the cells are at a resting state or at the voltage level that the cells don't build resistance wanting to be charged or discharged.
Jim Hustins is offline   Reply With Quote

Lipo Storage Mode - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lipo storage charging Demo 90 Electronics 7 10-16-2012 04:06 AM
lipo storage and charging djb2 Electronics 5 10-05-2012 09:08 PM
Lipo battery storage. area51racer Electronics 5 11-14-2011 04:55 AM
When to put a LiPo into storage? OTE_TheMissile Electronics 2 10-25-2011 02:11 PM
lipo storage question. hyjaxx Electronics 7 09-26-2010 06:13 PM