Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin rx8 problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Racer

Default Tekin rx8 problem

My buddy that had the bearing problem also bought a rx8 ESC with the motor , he has been using my 550-4.5 motor , now the ESC is acting up and stuttering , the fan doesn't come on , when the car takes a hard hit it will stop for a second as though it has to reset, and today the black wire on the ESC side came un soldered , motor temps are 180-190 ,any ideas ? He wants to send it back to have it checked ,it's only 1-2 mo old
mg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Addict

Default Re: Tekin rx8 problem

Poor solder joint is the first thing that comes to mind. Any pics?
nitro_mt_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Basher

I believe the fan will stay off until the ESC hits 120 degrees? I could be wrong on the temp but it has to hit a certain temp before it comes on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
walkers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Racer

Just helped re solder the connector had him blow out the fan , there was a little mud in it , our track is sometimes wet and crud gets kicked up all in the car, it's silt so it cleans off EZ but how se sensitive is this ESC to moist dirt? Will test tomorrow and see what happens ,
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Racer

Seems to work ok still unsolder end a wire but the truck is geared really fast so that's the solder problem ,still stalls on a hard hit though
Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Addict

Stalling on a hard impact could be the switch
nitro_mt_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Vestitor de Deces....

I had a weak solder joint from the battery plug that would shut the truck down on hard impacts, but it would not come back on. I would have to tweak the wire or unplug the battery and plug it back in to get it to power up.

Last edited by Eric0424; 03-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Eric0424 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #8
Addict

Ditch the fan. There's no reason an RX8 should need a fan pushing a 4.5t 550. 190° is hot for a motor, he needs to gear down.

Stalling (restarting) after a hard impact is an infamous RX8 trait. After the first time, the RX8 will only get worse. Has to do with the dual-layer circuit board/connection/lack of internal support. The only way I've kept an RX8 good, is by using Kyosho Zeal tape. Layering double side tape was not enough.
STSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STSDriver View Post
Stalling (restarting) after a hard impact is an infamous RX8 trait. After the first time, the RX8 will only get worse. Has to do with the dual-layer circuit board/connection/lack of internal support. The only way I've kept an RX8 good, is by using Kyosho Zeal tape. Layering double side tape was not enough.
This is inaccurate for a few reasons. First it's not an "infamous" trait as other outside factors often attribute to this condition, like over powered servos browning out the entire car.

The dual layered board design has NOTHING to do with cut outs, period. The boards are physically unable to pull apart at all inside the case.

Please don't post your opinion as facts.

Cut outs like this can be a few things. First the sodler joint should NEVER fail and if you're repeatedly getting them you need to correct the cause. Over gearing, a bad motor, bad bearings in the car causing too much amp draw, etc. The fan in the Rx8 is temp controlled so it will only run when it needs to. To test it, unplug the Rx8 from the receiver, power up the car. This will force the fan to be on at all times.

What radio system and servo is in the car?
TekinTeamMgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Vestitor de Deces....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekinTeamMgr View Post
This is inaccurate for a few reasons.

Yeah, that would eliminate and/or prevent about 80% of the posts here.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Addict

Eric-Im sure he is refering to specific technical data. Not for one to not give an opinion.
qZOMBIExTUNAp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Vestitor de Deces....

Quote:
Originally Posted by qZOMBIExTUNAp View Post
Eric-Im sure he is refering to specific technical data. Not for one to not give an opinion.
The 80% was an exaggeration, but a lot of opinion masquerades as fact here. I'm all for anyone speaking for themselves and giving an opinion, but too many spout out comments like the one above as if they're common knowledge or tangible facts.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #13

Hey guys. I am the "owner" of the bad bearing pro4 and cutting out rx8.

I figured it was about time I registered on this site and helped discuss the issues.

First off the rx8 has been cutting off since day one. Any really hard landing/digger/ flip has lead to the car just sitting there for 5-10secs before coming back to life. The truck has been close enough a few times that I would have heard that familiar tekin esc series of beeps. But the esc didn't make the beeps... it just comes back on.

So....multi layers of tape? To cushion the force...

If it is persistent in cutting off after that.. should it be sent in? I don't want to miss my warranty date..

Gearing down has helped. The motor temps are hanging around 170 after a 6000 mah lipo on a very loose traction track.

On the day the rx8 unsoldered from the lipo males dean connector (black neg) and from the esc deans female (black neg) at the same time. I was only on the second lipo. Outside temp was 75-80. But I am 100% sure the fan was not rotating due to a piece of mud that had found its way into the fan shroud. I temped the motor at 190-200 and the esc was around 160...

Since regearing I am getting 165-175 motor temps. Rx8 at 105-120 fan on sometimes.

Hope that is some better details.. all in all I am satisfied with my tekin experience.. but have seen better results with less "trouble" from products that are significantly cheaper..

My choice to pay the higher price tag came with the hope of having a great tech/customer service to rely on. Its a good start seeing the interaction the tekin rep on this forum. I thank you sir.

I think my pro4 should be at your door step today or tomorrow..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Nalg3ne; 03-18-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Nalg3ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #14
Addict

Quote:
The dual layered board design has NOTHING to do with cut outs, period. The boards are physically unable to pull apart at all inside the case.

Correct. How and/or why my post came across as to insinuate that the dual layer board was in particular to blame, is wrong. Chalk that up to a 6am post.... I should have added something like; "connection/lack of internal support/chance/gravity/something that causes the RX8 to reset after hard impacts."

I will stand behind my opinion that too many hard impacts, for whatever reasons, will start to cause an RX8 to reset after said impact, and it will get worse after it starts to happen. Too many firsthand (my own), and secondhand (one's I watched in person) accounts. IF, as I said in my post, proper steps to ensure the RX8 is safe, aren't taken.

That doesn't mean I won't use an RX8 personally (I do) or won't recommend one (I will). An RX8 just needs to be mounted with Kyosho Zeal tape, or heavily layered double side, before the resets start happening.

Last edited by STSDriver; 03-19-2013 at 03:24 AM.
STSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #15
Addict

[QUOTE=STSDriver;317110]Ditch the fan. There's no reason an RX8 should need a fan pushing a 4.5t 550. 190 is hot for a motor, he needs to gear down.

Stalling (restarting) after a hard impact is an infamous RX8 trait. After the first time, the RX8 will only get worse. Has to do with the dual-layer circuit board/connection/lack of internal support. The only way I've kept an RX8 good, is by using Kyosho Zeal tape. Layering double side tape was not enough.[/QUOTE

This was the statment i beleve he is refering to STS. On the same note a heaver tape is always a good idea when mounting electronics. Not all are very "impact resistant"
qZOMBIExTUNAp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Addict

@Nalg3ne What radio system and servo are you using? If you're close enough and you don't hear the Rx8 rebooting it's likely something to do with the radio/esc relationship.
TekinTeamMgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Vestitor de Deces....

Really doesn't matter which portion of the comment you think he's referring to.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #18

Quote:
@Nalg3ne What radio system and servo are you using? If you're close enough and you don't hear the Rx8 rebooting it's likely something to do with the radio/esc relationship.
Spektrum DS3x or C.. I dont have it in front of me. Its not their bare bottom model.. but close to it. and the SR300 RX.

Never had an issue before with the TX/RX? RTR combo and Viper Combo.. with harder landings =)

I am guessing that if other owners of the RX8 have had them shutdown after "hard landings/Hits" that mine is just another Stat..

My question now is.. Has there been dmg done to the esc? Will these shutdowns/power losses/resets become more frequent?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Addict

if it was me, I would send the rx8 back in for inspection as I have had the same rx8 in my scte for almost 2 years now, I shoe-gooed it down so I would not have to worry about it falling out or anything, and up til last weekend it has been flawless, but had to laugh on the viper part, we have the copperhead version in another scte, and on hard landing or soft ones it will shut down for 5-10 seconds at a time, but luckily for us, its not under warranty and I am waiting for the smoke to let out of this
Trouble's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble's Dad View Post
if it was me, I would send the rx8 back in for inspection as I have had the same rx8 in my scte for almost 2 years now, I shoe-gooed it down so I would not have to worry about it falling out or anything, and up til last weekend it has been flawless, but had to laugh on the viper part, we have the copperhead version in another scte, and on hard landing or soft ones it will shut down for 5-10 seconds at a time, but luckily for us, its not under warranty and I am waiting for the smoke to let out of this
Yeah I ran back to back to back 3s till the viper gave out. Took a couple weekends. The motor is still in good condition.. no play in the bearings and its the 4300kv version I beleive..

Once the fan went out on the viper the heat became too much for it. Never had any issues with it resetting or shutting down.. aside for thermal..

Tekin rx8 problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Losi Ten SCTE w/Tekin RX8 & Tekin Pro 4 4000kv Motor LeftKoast For Sale 0 05-27-2012 07:47 AM
RX8-Pro 4 problem Salty Electronics 7 01-28-2012 08:10 PM
Tekin RX8 problem ? Redneckracer Electronics 3 04-04-2011 06:26 PM
problem with RX8 and sc4x 5.5t...please help eric33 Jammin SCRT-10 3 12-07-2010 11:07 PM
Tekin RX8 problem.. altgamer Electronics 9 11-29-2010 10:31 AM