Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Loading

View Poll Results: Which SCT RTR motor is best?
Traxxas 11 28.95%
HPI 9 23.68%
Associated 16 42.11%
Losi 1 2.63%
Kyosho 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Which SCT kit motor is best?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kyosho the NEW King of the Hill!
Posts: 2,793
Default Which SCT kit motor is best?

Some of the bigger races this year are requiring that the SCT class be limited to any motor that comes in the RTR SCT kits.

Here is exactly how it reads.
Motor:
-Only motors that come with the Ready-To-Run kits will be allowed.
-A motor from a different brand of RTR SCT may be used (Example: A Traxxas 12T Titan may be used on an Associated SC10, etc)
-The Electronic Speed Control used must be one that comes included with a Ready-To-Run Short Course Truck. It may be from a different manufacturer.
-No brushless motors may be used.
-Examples of legal motors for this class include the 12T Titan (Traxxas), 15T Firebolt (HPI), Reedy 17T (Associated), 12T 550 Losi motor.
I have no experience with any of these.

Can someone weigh in on this and bring clarification as to which motor is best or what you would prefer?

What will the Kyosho come with, are there any more SCT's coming out?

EDIT: let me know if i need to add another brand to the list.

Last edited by Ghostrider86; 12-28-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Resident Douche bag
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Shooting range
Posts: 4,441
Default

The associated motor is fast but not very reliable
proraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kyosho the NEW King of the Hill!
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
The associated motor is fast but not very reliable

Thanks for the reply Proraptor, i know i can count on you to dive in on a conversation! I figured this would be an important topic and would have many opinions?? I couldn't find where this topic had been discussed before? Curious why more people haven't piped in?

So far it seems the poll indicates the traxxas motor is best, only 5 votes right now. Lets see how it progresses through today......
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Elk Grove Ca.
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
The associated motor is fast but not very reliable
proraptor is right , the ones if have used are fast but will fade fast if not taken care of. Since you cant really get into these cans too easily I just remove the brushes and used a brush stick on them and clean it out with motor spray. Relube the bushings and your good to go, the ones I have done this to have lasted three or four weeks thats with a full day of practice and a full day of practice leading into race night. Hope this helps.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kyosho the NEW King of the Hill!
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
proraptor is right , the ones if have used are fast but will fade fast if not taken care of. Since you cant really get into these cans too easily I just remove the brushes and used a brush stick on them and clean it out with motor spray. Relube the bushings and your good to go, the ones I have done this to have lasted three or four weeks thats with a full day of practice and a full day of practice leading into race night. Hope this helps.

Good word, which motor is it? I see several Reedy 17t motors?
Is it the Reedy Radon ?
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
MAB
Racer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider86 View Post
Good word, which motor is it? I see several Reedy 17t motors?
Is it the Reedy Radon ?
yeah it is the Radon.
x3 on the durability issue though, both mine and a buddies can magnets
fractured and fell into the arm (looked and sounded like it)
cool noises though!
MAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kyosho the NEW King of the Hill!
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB View Post
yeah it is the Radon.
x3 on the durability issue though, both mine and a buddies can magnets
fractured and fell into the arm (looked and sounded like it)
cool noises though!
Right now its a tie between Traxxas and Reedy/Associated!!

MAB,
Not trying to say anything about ur R/c ability here but did the motor get hot?
I can see them having a problem once they get hot.

Reedy has been around for a while, kinda crazy they would have a motor that wouldn't hold up.

Last edited by Ghostrider86; 12-29-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 21
Default

At the track I race at we are not allowed to run the 15T Thunderbolt (HPI Blitz) in spec class. This is because of the owner's testing and determining it was faster than the others. Most people at the track disagree with this, but we all have to play by the track owner's rules.
JMYBFFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
MAB
Racer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider86 View Post

MAB,
Not trying to say anything about ur R/c ability here but did the motor get hot?
.
We had a couple big air sessions in my buddies shop actually
I guess the chassis slapping and pogoing could have had something to do with it.
MAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Basher
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Wilmington, PA
Posts: 95
Default

I havn't had much luck with the titan, I'm on my second one in one truck. First had 2 batteries through it, and started to vibrate horribly.

The jury is still out for me. I'm not voting.
jester/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The OC ~ Cali
Posts: 806
Default

Ive been racing Slashes since July of 08, I went through about 4 titans in that time. The last titan I bought is now in my blitz for spec class racing. As long as you clean and lube them, they will love you back for a while.

After my first titan just wasnt cutting it any more, I popped the can open and cleaned up the arm best I could and put it into an OLD B&R 550 can I have. Talk about a fast motor...adjustable timing, full bearings and I removed that weird plastic fan that was glued to the arm. Threw it on the track and was immediately called out when I started clearing doubles & triples that only Mod buggies/trucks were making. It was fun while it lasted, it sits in my tool box taunting me....
JK Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #12
Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kyosho the NEW King of the Hill!
Posts: 2,793
Default Results as of 1-3-2010

Ok here is the update
Traxxas in the lead with 5 votes
Associated/Reedy and HPI tied at 3 votes.

I know there has to be more opinions than this!

More votes please!
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #13
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 996
Default

I cannot see how anyone would vote for the Traxxas turd, I mean motor. The AE motor seems to fade but the traxxas turd is even hit or miss if it'll last a few packs. The tamiya kit 540 motor is much more reliable than any of them, a spec class should try them.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
Basher
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 96
Default

I voted for the Associated

I have done some bench testing using my EagleTree and a 6x4 prop. First I spin them up with no load or Free. Then I bolt on a 6x4 prop to simulate a load placed on the motor. I record RPM, Voltage, and Amperage for all readings in both tests.


Traxxas 12T 7.2V
RPM Lfree 22300 ---------- RPM Loaded 13700
Amps Free4.7 --------------Amps loaded 20
Voltage Free 7.7 -----------Voltage loaded 6.5

Hpi 15T
RPM Free 28000 ------------RPM Loaded 14500
Amps 5.25 -----------------Amps Loaded 27
Voltage7.69 ----------------Voltage loaded 6.0

Reedy Radon
RPM Free 28500 ------------RPM Loaded 16000
Amps Free 6.6 -------------Amps Loaded 33
Voltage Free 7.3 -----------Voltage Loaded 6.08

I now own a Blitz but owned a Slash and SC10. The SC10 felt the fastest but also ran the hottest. The Blitz motor feels kinda gutless to me in my opinion. It runs cool using the stock gear 18/88. I tried 19/88 hoping to get more top speed but the only thing I noticed was a loss in acceleration coming out of turns, top speed felt the same.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kyosho the NEW King of the Hill!
Posts: 2,793
Default

Awesome Ryan, thanks for sharing that,
Question,
How did you break in these motors, and did you break them in the same?

I assume the test was done with clean motors, new with broke in brushes, lubed bearings.

any other factors?
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Default

Reedy motor ftw. Replaceable brushes are also nice. now i'm not super knowledgeable on stock motors, but working at hobbypeople since before the slash came out, i can safely say that the traxxas motor can better be described as "a turd" as stated above...
SlashusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #17
Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kyosho the NEW King of the Hill!
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashusMaximus View Post
Reedy motor ftw. Replaceable brushes are also nice. now i'm not super knowledgeable on stock motors, but working at hobbypeople since before the slash came out, i can safely say that the traxxas motor can better be described as "a turd" as stated above...
Thanks for your input slash!

I appreciate all of the votes, looks like we are tied right now!

Traxxas and Associated! 8 votes a piece!

Looks like both are good choices in many peoples eyes!

I would love for the votes to hit double digits for more accuracy and a clear winner!
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: N.Indiana
Posts: 31
Cool

Even tho It's probably hit & miss on all the motors in question here .My son and I both ran the Reedy motors for about 5 weeks in our SC10's without so much as a single burp from either one of them.We didn't really do anything more than lube the bushings once or twice.Suprizingly the ESC's held up too.
DChupp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
Basher
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider86 View Post
Some of the bigger races this year are requiring that the SCT class be limited to any motor that comes in the RTR SCT kits.

Here is exactly how it reads.
Motor:
-Only motors that come with the Ready-To-Run kits will be allowed.
-A motor from a different brand of RTR SCT may be used (Example: A Traxxas 12T Titan may be used on an Associated SC10, etc)
-The Electronic Speed Control used must be one that comes included with a Ready-To-Run Short Course Truck. It may be from a different manufacturer.
-No brushless motors may be used.
-Examples of legal motors for this class include the 12T Titan (Traxxas), 15T Firebolt (HPI), Reedy 17T (Associated), 12T 550 Losi motor.
I have no experience with any of these.

Can someone weigh in on this and bring clarification as to which motor is best or what you would prefer?

What will the Kyosho come with, are there any more SCT's coming out?

EDIT: let me know if i need to add another brand to the list.
are you racing or bashing?
murtaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kyosho the NEW King of the Hill!
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murtaw View Post
are you racing or bashing?

I am confused who you are asking?

If you were talking to me, i am racing.......
Ghostrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2007 RCShortcourse.com