Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Voltage cut off traxxas vxl3s

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Addict

Default Voltage cut off traxxas vxl3s

running the traxxas vxl3s set up and kept shutting down going into a low voltage protection, so my question is does this happen with a nimh pack or 6 cell, all I have to go by is lipo's, but just curious if it shuts down with the other batteries as well

any advice would be appreciated
Trouble's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Basher

My VXL3S cuts off at between 3.7V and 3.9V a cell with LiPo (crappy Traxxas ESC...), but I haven't had the opportunity to run a NiMh on it yet. As I remember, the VXL3S auto senses LiPo and automatically turns on the LVC, so a NiMh shouldn't trip the LVC if I remember right.
Wattser93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Addict

the problem I came up with was simple, when running a lipo 2s pack in cold weather after about 3 minutes of track time it shut down, blinking red, so I put it in nimh mode so the red light would stay on and did the same thing again, running a lipo pack, but I have no 6 cell packs anymore so I don't know if it shuts down on a 6 cell or if it would run till the motor would not turn anymore

and I only ran 3 minutes on the lipo pack, and it was charged to 8.40 volts, anybody have a 6cell that have ran this speedo
Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Racer

if you have the lvc turned off it will run till the nimh battery is dead..
briang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Addict

so any thoughts on why it would shut down, unless it has a bad cell or worse yet, gremlins in the speedo
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Racer

Is it a slow flash or a fast flash...Fast flash is thermal...and slow flash is lvc
briang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Addict

slow flashing red light, but it would do it on either setting, and it came on all of a sudden, NO slowing down or nothing, the truck was going around a corner and shut down
Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Addict

Just buy yourself a $5 lipo warning buzzer and run the esc in nimh mode

Plenty have sent their ESC's into Traxxas for replacement because of an early LVC activation

A resting voltage of 3.7v (3.4 - 3.5v under load) is where it should be

Cheers
crusey_aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusey_aus View Post
Just buy yourself a $5 lipo warning buzzer and run the esc in nimh mode

Plenty have sent their ESC's into Traxxas for replacement because of an early LVC activation

A resting voltage of 3.7v (3.4 - 3.5v under load) is where it should be

Cheers

I tried to run it in nimh mode and still does the same thing with a smc battery pack, and tried a different pack and ran the 10 minutes it should of, it just seemed odd that when running in nimh mode it would shut down after a few minutes of running, going into a low voltage cut off mode, and blinking slow red, but I just do not have any 6 cell packs any more as just was curious if the nimh mode would have any type of cut off as well
Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Racer

Default Re: Voltage cut off traxxas vxl3s

looks like I am having the same buggy issue with my VXL3 showing me the low voltage cut off.

I think I have it down to the esc. I pulled a fresh pack from my son and it did the same thing where it ran his truck just fine. One of the tghings it is doing different is that it used to just shut the truck down not it will still run on 1/2 throttle.
Shaguardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

The VXL3's system is great for a while! If you keep the button covered (protected from dust) it will work great. I have 5 of them and 3 are junk. They have a tendancy to change setup with no warning. Everytime my dad changes his battery his entire setup changes. So far he just sets it up. I bought myself a MMP. Next up is a Brushless Hobby ESC for all of us. They are a third of the price and there is nothing but good reviews on the product. I love Traxxas but the VXL3's is a weak spot.

I might mention also that we have tried blowing the dust out with compressed air and even used electronic cleaner. Nothing really helped. I took one apart to see if I could clean the button but after the cover is off the unit is sealed with a clear epoxy.
RattleKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Addict

Maybe you need a bec. Maybe the motor draws so much power that the ESC drops too low and sends it into cut off. Kind of like how a combo can rob voltage from the rx making you loose signal.
Just a thought.
MojaveMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Racer

What is a bec?
Shaguardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaguardriver View Post
What is a bec?
battery elimination circuit. Its what supplies power to the reciever. Most esc's now have them built in, but sometimes they arent very strong, thus the need for external bec's.
LeMieux is offline   Reply With Quote