Go Back   RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board > ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech > Axial EXO Terra Buggy

Notices

Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Antmax's Axial Exo Terra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
Addict

Default Re: Antmax's Axial Exo Terra

The shocks turned with the piggybacks inwards is safer as far as bending the shafts when you hit the corner of the hood real hard when cartwheeling etc. The shocks are at a slight angle of about 8 degrees and the red bleeder screws almost meet. You have to mount the top of the shock on to top outer mounting point and the bottoms on the inner mounting point or they will catch on something.

The closer to vertical angle will effect your damping a little, I had to harden the suspension a little more. So not ideal but it does protect your shafts.
Antmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
Racer

How would you compare the G-made shocks to stock in performance are they worth the 60 bucks for all 4 corners?
T_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Addict

The Gmade shocks are very smooth. One problem I found is that if they break you have to buy parts from junfac in Korea. No one in the US stocks the parts yet which can be problematic. Fortunately the stock shock shafts are easily made compatible otherwise it would make more sense to just buy another pair of shocks.

If you follow the instructions properly you can get them filled pretty uniformly and they are easy to adjust on the rebound etc. If I were to buy them again, I might have just gone with the diaphram shocks with the aluminium caps since they are almost $10 cheaper a pair and you can mount them the same as any other shock. I had to mount the rears outside the cage, in some ways I prefer it because then you can remove the body without taking the wheels off.

If you can find compatible collars you can use the powerstroke spring sets and get a lot more flexibility with your setup. The powerstroke rebuild kits have the collars if you want to go that route. Though not the cheapest at aprox $8 a pair.

With my piggybacks the shafts bent before the plastics received any damage and the seals didn't leak even after having had a bent shaft working inside one of them. So they do seem to be pretty well put together.

I haven't tried anything other than the stock plastic shocks so I don't have anything else to compare against.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
Addict

I ran G-made shocks for a while on my EXO. For light too medium bashing they were great, but every time I did hard bashing with them they wouldn't stay consistent. I ended up trying some SCTE shocks and WOW what a huge difference. Car handles a lot better and the shocks stay consistent every time. Those dam shocks are the reason why my other Rc's are almost shelved haha! EXO FTW!!

-Dave @ threat-
Dave C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
Racer

Well i wouldn't be doing anything along the line of hard bashing driving in the parks an the ocasional 1/10 sc/buggy track driving with a side of parking lot driving. Really am curious to finding a way to mount a center gear box in this like a emaxx/revo/rustler
Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #26

hi Antmax's could you tell me what is the size of shock G-made front and back that you took a please, because the last time I change the shock absorbers on a car I'm wrong size. thank you in advance
bipbip3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #27
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipbip3D View Post
hi Antmax's could you tell me what is the size of shock G-made front and back that you took a please, because the last time I change the shock absorbers on a car I'm wrong size. thank you in advance
93mm and 103mm are the shock sizes you need.

I recently reverse/flipped the front piggybacks for safety reasons. Like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

This prevents hard impacts on the hood from pressing down hard on the piggyback and bending the shaft which happened to me on one of my harder bashing sessions. With the piggys on the inside they are very close together but don't bind so long as you use the top outer mount and inner bottom mount.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #28
Racer

out of curiousity what all had to go into the process of putting the tini shafts into the gmades an allow them to work correctly, I've been fighting with mine all night trying to get them to have some kind of rebound without the spring an they just dont work i've re read the instructions an watchs a few vids but i cannot get the dag gum things to work!

Last edited by T_Tank; 12-04-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #29
Addict

The axial shaft is almost a direct fit being the same diameter. Only problem is that the Axial piston sits on the threaded part of the shaft and has a narrower hole than the gmade piston. So the Gmade piston wobbles a little. It's probably not a big deal since it's going to be centered when it's pushed through the shock body. Just to make it a bit more true I put some heat shrink on the threaded part till the gmade piston was a tighter fit.

I much prefer the axial locknut over the e clip and the axial shafts are cheap if you purchase stock shocks on ebay. No one seems to want the plastic shocks and you can get whole kits much cheaper than gmade shafts that no one stocks here in the USA yet.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #30
Racer

Finally got my shocks all built an least rebounding an able to match them all. Now comes the issue of springs... tried some losi hard rear springs but they aren't even slightly hard compared to the stock springs on the old shocks >.<
Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #31
Addict

I got the gmade firm springs and they work ok so long as your not jumping too much. I have been contemplating getting proline powerstroke springs for my gmade shocks. But don't have the collars and don't want to spend $15 for powerstroke rebuild kits so I can use their dual springs.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #32
Racer

I also went with gmade piggybacks on my exo. I bought the dual rate proline set and the rebuild kits, but I have not finished my build yet ~ extremely busy with work ~ I will let you know how they perform when I'm done.
Mnocton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
Racer

I temp installed my stock axial springs on my gmades for now cause they atleast will have some stiffness since my exo does get jumped often over at the track. put 40wt front an rear an adjusted the shocks to have rebound on their own even without a spring on an then matched them left to right.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #34
Addict

I decided to do Dave C's shock relocation mod and made a brace using the one in the PDF manual for reference. Spray mounted on a sheet of aluminium.

Hack saw, coping saw, files and a little while later.

On the Exo with a couple of decals.

I like how the piggys are better protected with the reservoirs on the inside and fit nicely in between the braces. Suspension geometry seems improved when you push the RC down. Have yet to take it out for a proper bash session.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #35
Addict

Looks nice!!! I was wondering if the piggybacks would be rubbing on the shock plate, but I guess they don't, eh? Do you have any bends in this plate to avoid this rubbing or is there enough space for the resi's?
ccbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #36
Addict

Looks good.
LeeSC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #37
Addict

The Piggys almost fit like they were meant to be there. Bearing in mind this is the loose battery side panel there is clearance through the whole movement of the shock. The piggys are not obstructed at all.

It is important to have the cutout curve on the inside big enough. Luckily the original brace cutout was fine, almost perfect in fact.

Only negative thing I have noticed so far with this setup is that the shocks make getting the rear body clip off quite tricky and there is a little less room making for a slightly more fiddle strapping down of the battery with the piggy reservoirs so close.
Dave C likes this.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #38
Addict

That brace looks good but I'm a little curious as to how necessary it truly is. I simply used a really long 3 mil bolt on the outside of the cage. I kind of figure if my slash 4x4 could do with one bolt on top I am hoping my exo can.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #39
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
That brace looks good but I'm a little curious as to how necessary it truly is. I simply used a really long 3 mil bolt on the outside of the cage. I kind of figure if my slash 4x4 could do with one bolt on top I am hoping my exo can.
The EXO has a good shock motion ratio set up like this, which also means it dampens better. Better damping puts more load on the mounting points. Rememer how you were bending the screws up front? The front motion ration is still not as good as the rear is with this set up. You will bend the screws even quicker. Not to mention it looks really butchered without the plates too haha!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #40
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmax View Post
The Piggys almost fit like they were meant to be there. Bearing in mind this is the loose battery side panel there is clearance through the whole movement of the shock. The piggys are not obstructed at all.

It is important to have the cutout curve on the inside big enough. Luckily the original brace cutout was fine, almost perfect in fact.

Only negative thing I have noticed so far with this setup is that the shocks make getting the rear body clip off quite tricky and there is a little less room making for a slightly more fiddle strapping down of the battery with the piggy reservoirs so close.
Looks really good man! With how many people are make these on there own now, I am canceling my order to produce these. They are easy enough too make with simple hand tools.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/axial-exo-terra-buggy/31185-antmaxs-axial-exo-terra.html
Posted By For Type Date
Antmax's Axial Exo Terra - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 05-08-2012 04:32 PM

Antmax's Axial Exo Terra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Badger's Axial EXO Terra Buggy badger Axial EXO Terra Buggy 175 03-11-2014 05:59 AM
nissan_driver24 Axial Exo Terra Buggy Build nissan_driver24 Axial EXO Terra Buggy 21 09-10-2012 03:05 PM
axial exo terra or losi ten scte Smiles General ShortCourse 18 05-22-2012 07:25 AM
Axial EXO Terra Buggy Review newdavid Axial EXO Terra Buggy 0 05-05-2012 05:24 AM
Axial EXO Terra Buggy! AX90015 badger Axial EXO Terra Buggy 134 01-23-2012 05:38 PM